Towing a 2014 Explorer Sport on a dolly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a 2014 Explorer Sport on a dolly

LaneSplitter

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Can a 2014 Explorer Sport AWD be towed on a car dolly with the rear drive shaft removed?
Does anyone see a problem with this procedure?
I already have a dolly, and I don't want to go out and buy a tow bar to flat tow the X behind an RV.

I don't have the answer for sure but if it can be flat towed with the driveshaft in place, would the same not apply to using a dolly? :dunno:
Interesting question you posed.

Peter

The Ford documentation says it cannot be towed two wheels down on a dolly, but like you said, it can be flat towed on all four wheels on the road. They don't say why.
Could it be because with the front end higher than the rear, the transmission doesn't lubricate? If this was the case, then releasing the driveshaft should avoid spinning the transmission.
I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I think it would be more related to the PTU and having the rear wheels turning and the front stationary when it’s on a dolly. Once you remove the driveshaft, you take that connection away, so I would say you should be able to dolly it up.

Back