Towing a boat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a boat

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Guys I want to tow a 20ft Bayliner with a 5.7 mercruiser in it. I am no longer AWD because I did the 4406 swap. Does that change how much I can tow? Who's Towing boats? Is the Explorer bare minimum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The boat I want to tow says it's 2750. I'm guess the trailer is another 750lbs then add some gear and gas and I might be towing around 3700lbs. What do you all think?

No problem. The 5.0 is rated between 5620 and 6820 depending on options.

The 4x4 is 5620 or 6620 depending on gear ratio. Either way you're well under limitations even with modifications

do you have a hitch or are you planning on bumper towing? I would definitely get a hitch. my 98 owners manual says 6460 pounds towing with a weight distributing hitch. I would not be afraid to tow a boat with it.

do you have a hitch or are you planning on bumper towing? I would definitely get a hitch. my 98 owners manual says 6460 pounds towing with a weight distributing hitch. I would not be afraid to tow a boat with it.

Good point. Personally I wouldn't dare towing with the bumper but it's rated at 3500

In Australia it's not legal to use the bumper, if you want to tow you have to fit a hitch.

Just don't use overdrive and you'll be ok.

Yes I will be using a hitch. And on the over drive, should I have it off at all time while towing or just on grades? I'm thinking at all times.

Have the OD "Off" all the time when towing.

Yes I will be using a hitch. And on the over drive, should I have it off at all time while towing or just on grades? I'm thinking at all times.
Off at all times. The OD gear isn't as strong as straight drive.

Towing?
How are your rear leaf springs? good firm/add-a-leaf helps support esp. if you've put elongated shackles.
Rear sway bar & bushings condition? stable the back end.
what rear shocks? I have F150 heavy duty rated rear shocks.
Use a HITCH.
Tires? correct type, aired up, in good condition. - I have 10ply LT235/85R16 and they roll smooothly.
Balance the load- a trailer with improper balanced load from tongue/over axle can really effect control, traction, stability(sway)
Does the trailer have power assisted brakes? It's not that the Ex can stop, but will it safely when someone pulls out in front of you?
Check trailer tire, rim, lug nuts, load securement

I have/have had motorcycle, car/truck POV, CDL driving dumptruck & semi, small craft naval training, & want to become a pilot
- I don't mean any of this in gloating or arrogance, but for assurance. Respond if you have questions of towing.
you tube or google video search for hauling load and trailers. 98% will be fine. 1% may be in learning error, 1% other idiots
Have a blast with the boat

You'll be golden, I've towed my 3500 boat plenty of times, even without a sway bar and rtt on but I wouldn't recommend it.

Couple weeks ago I weighted the truck and trailer combo all together, truck with 5 people and all the add ons, 7000lbs, boat, trailer and gear 4000lbs. That time I had a sway bar and no rtt on

No problem. The 5.0 is rated between 5620 and 6820 depending on options.

The 4x4 is 5620 or 6620 depending on gear ratio. Either way you're well under limitations even with modifications

I'll have to double check mine door sticker, didn't know some were 6620!

3.73 gears w/ OD off on a hitch and you will be all set.

Just went over the scale at about 9k truck and trailer. You knew it was back there but I had no trouble going or stopping.

Next I'm gonna try my vr4 and a friend's trailer. That should put it right at about 6300lbs trailer weight

Back