Towing a Bronco II | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a Bronco II

My daily driver is an 01 Explorer Sport SOHC automagic. Nicely maintained and just hit 90K. Looking to possibly use it as a tow vehicle for my Bronco II and wanted to get some opinions from the gurus.

The BII is the one in my signature. Lifted about 2 inches on 31's. It's becoming too busy of a ride for long distances. About 3 times a year I go out of state for some serious offroading. Roughly 180 miles one way.

I am considering a tow dolly with some kind some kind of brakes. They pop up on Craigslist for about a grand. Now I know car trailer is the preferred method but here is my reasoning:

1.I have 0 experience towing things and tow dolly seems less intimidating.
2.They still can be equipped with brakes.
3.Tow dolly is less weight so less strain on the tow vehicle, right?
4.Lack of yard space.

With the proper upgrades (extra cooling, class 3 hitch, etc) would this setup be OK?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dollies aren't really recommended for RWD/AWD vehicles.

The only way I know to tow a 4x4 vehicle on a tow dolly is to physically remove the driveshaft. I'm sure there are other ways, but thats how I have done it.

As long as the Bronco has a true neutral center diff (?), then it should not be a problem, right.

It sounds like you really don't know what you have in your Explorer, as far as max towing ratings. But if you are able to use a tow dolly, that would definitely be the lighter option, and would not have TW concerns. If the dolly has surge brakes, all the better.

But with out knowing more details about your Explorer, I don't know how to advise you.

What's the axle ratio?

That's the biggest factor in towing capacity. Also, you have a sport, so realize that if the B2 weighs more than your ex, towing it will not be pretty.

Here's an article that might help. It's specific to flat-towing (which actually might also be another option for you besides dollies and car haulers) but talks about some of the workarounds mentioned here if you are intent on going on the dolly route, i.e. disconnecting the drivetrain, neutral transfer case, etc.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-cars-can-be-flat-towed-behind-an-rv.html

And as others have mentioned, you should probably figure out what your max tow rating is for your Sport first because if you are overloaded, then that's a whole other conversation.

According to the owners manual tow capacity for the 4x4 Automatic is about 5,000. Bronco Weighs in at 3300. Think the axle ratio is 3.73, I know it's definitely not 4.10's.

The Bronco has a manual t-case but I would just disconnect the drive shaft to be safe. From what I've read it should be doable but I think this may be approaching borderline sketchy, even with trailer brakes. Especially in the hills.

Thanks all for the input!

Just unbolt the rear of the driveshaft and tie it up to the frame. Nothing can go wrong then.

Back