Towing a car with a dolly and 2011 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a car with a dolly and 2011 Explorer Limited

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with a tow package. I have a car that I need to transport a good distance, about 700 miles or so. My options are limited, and am considering renting a dolly from uhaul and towing the car. The car weighs about 3300 lbs. Will my Explorer be able to handle this for such a distance? I would imagine gas mileage is going to be very, well, not good. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be OK, remember it's going to take a bit more to stop. Tow rating I believe is 5k lbs with tow package.

You'll be fine. Remember to turn the OD off.

No OD (overdrive) turn off on the 2011+ models, but you can go into the menus on the left side of the gauges and select Tow/Haul mode.

As per Ford 2011 Towing Guide, you will also require a Weight Distribution Hitch when towing over 2000 lbs.

Peter

Your other problem is going to be that Uhaul and other rental outfits will not rent a dolly if your tow vehicle is not capable to tow what is going on it safely due to liability issues. They also don't like renting their car dollies for one way trips where you are not using one of their trucks.

But a question that hasn't been asked is why can't you just have the other vehicle driven to where it needs to go?

Thanks everyone. As far as why I am not driving it, this is what I am towing:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-classifieds/1800970-85-trans-am-ls1-6spd-500hp-contest-winner.html

I am really uneasy driving this nearly 700 miles.

I will also have about 400-500lbs worth of people. I would imagine that would be something to be considered?

I have never heard of a weight distribution hitch. So that is something that absolutely must be used? It looks as though it mounts to the frame to distribute some of the towing weight forward and take some of the hitch mounts? (in other words, considerable work?)

Thanks again!

I have never seen a trailer dolly that had a equalizer type of a hitch.

If I was you I would head down to the Uhaul dealership or whoever you plan to use and start talking to them about what your plans are.
I believe that they will be quickly changed.

Back