towing a explorer

jsaid

Reaction score
City, State
urbana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hi everyone,
is legal or not drive a explorer pulling other explorer with a tow bar ?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Umm, depending on what kind of Explorer is being towed, you're going to destroy the thing. Explorers, at least 2nd/3rd gen ones, have to be towed on a flatbed or their drivelines will get torn apart.

U Can Tow it with No Issues, As Long as the Drive Shaft is Pulled or U Put the Drive Wheels on a Dolly and if U have a AWD or 4WD Then U need to Flat Bed it..

If I read it correct, you want to tow an explorer with an explorer (your 98?).

Legal... Yea

Smart... NO.

The tow vehicle will be pushed around by the towed one.

I want to transport a not runing 98 eddie bauer . I want to save money in transport. My other 98 was totaled in an accident .

FireZapper said:
If I read it correct, you want to tow an explorer with an explorer (your 98?).

Legal... Yea

Smart... NO.

The tow vehicle will be pushed around by the towed one.

Actually, it may not be "legal" either.... Depends on which particular model is towing which particular model. A 4300 lb '98 Sport towing a 4800 lb '98 4-door wouldn't be legal as it's over the max towing weight and over the GCWR. The other way around, it may be OK, depending on whether the 4-door is a 4.0 or 4.6/5.0. Sport-towing-sport may be OK too. Again, it just depends on which model is pulling what.

In any case, the tow vehicle will likely be dangerously near it's limits. Adding a trailer to the mix just adds another 1500-2000 lbs. Not a great idea.

Oh, and you can flat-tow a 4x4 or sport. If it's an automatic, the engine must be running and in neutral, or it must be equipped with a neutral tow kit to tow with the engine off. Leaving the engine running keeps the bearings in the output shaft of the transmission lubed. If it's a manual tranny, you can flat-tow it with no problem as the gearing is splash-lubed.

-Joe

Back