towing a Ford Explorer/replacement engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing a Ford Explorer/replacement engine

peddler

Reaction score
City, State
cromer sunny norfolk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 north face
Hi I have just bought a North Face, 2000 (W reg) LPG converted with a Prins multi system fitted and is registered on Drivelpg, for insurance, It is in very good condition 2 owners from new and the man just wanted shot, so got change from £300.00. However the timing chain went and has been stuck in his garage for 6 months. 2 questions?

1/ Looking on the internet the weight of a explorer is 4053lbs (1.83 tons) and the towing capacity is 5000lbs(2,26 tons) does this mean I can not trailer it away?
(as he drove it in , and do not wish to drive it out can I just put her into neutral and pull her out)

2/ Where is the best place to have a replace engine put in? Justin in Newport has given me a good price? but I live in Sunny Norfolk? any where a little closer.

Many thanks Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi i would use justin . he may be able to arrange collection from where it is now .cheers chris

Hi,
I live not far from Colchester and asked the same questions as to local people etc. but nothing came back.
I used Justin for complete chain replacement, had the car picked up, delivered to him and collected. Very happy with price and work done.
I used www.shiply.com to advertise for couriers to collect, take to wales and again to collect from wales when work complete. Total costs for shipping was around £325 the lot. Think of petrol costs alone on this!
Vehicle was carried on multivehicle transporter
Good luck.
Sorry, yes, into neutral and roll out

1/ Looking on the internet the weight of a explorer is 4053lbs (1.83 tons) and the towing capacity is 5000lbs(2,26 tons) does this mean I can not trailer it away?

Just to clarify, what do you intend to tow it with? If another Explorer then the vehicle weighs a shade over 2.0T and the towing capability 2.5T. so if you can find a trailer that weighs 0.5T then you are OK! I'm guessing this is unlikely for a transporter trailer though.

SS

When I went to Justins he was telling me he had to have a Discovery as this was one of the few able to tow an explorer due to the weight.

f150

strange justin is promoting the use of a landy. when he had some seats from me they turned up in a f150 with an explorer on a trailer.

I towed one ex with another using a hired car trailer and it's not an experience I'd want to repeat. Basically had to keep the speed under 40 to avoid the snake of death!

+1 for Justin tho, I drove mine from Ipswich over to Newport to have the chain guides replaced and worth every penny to have someone who knows what they are doing working on the engine.

collection of Explorer

Hi to all, just to let you all know took you up on your advice and Justin collected the car over the weekend, and starting with a pre-mot tomorrow, just in case.
If everything goes alright there, then he is starting work.

Many thanks again to all. Justin is the man?

Gary

strange justin is promoting the use of a landy. when he had some seats from me they turned up in a f150 with an explorer on a trailer.

Well it was last November when I went there and he did my chains.

Dont suppose you have a tan drivers seat for a North Face? (gotta ask after you mentioned seats!)

Back