Towing A Travel Trailer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Towing A Travel Trailer

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
I'd go with a Popup camper. It will fit into the weight class you're asking about, and has a lot less drag at speed.

geecee58

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer LXT
I'd go with a Popup camper. It will fit into the weight class you're asking about, and has a lot less drag at speed.
I'm looking for something more full time and hard sides when I'm in bear territory....

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
I understand that. How much room do you need? It's very challenging to find a travel trailer under 3500 lbs. It can be done, but most fall in the overlanding category and are pricey.

geecee58

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer LXT
I understand that. How much room do you need? It's very challenging to find a travel trailer under 3500 lbs. It can be done, but most fall in the overlanding category and are pricey.
I think something around 15 to 17 feet. I'd like to find something with a Murphy bed. And since it's just me and my hounds, I don't need dinette seating, a swivil chair and a side table woulld be enough. Or instead of a side table I could even use a folding dinner tray. I'm also okay with just a microwave instead of an oven. If I wanted to bake something I would use my air fryer... I don't need an awning so that would also help cut down on weight. I was planning on purchasing a little dome tent like gazebo to set up with folding table and chairs when I'm outside. I also interested in looking for something with a cassette toilet to eliminate a black tank.

awaympar

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
I've been wanting to buy a camper trailer for years.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
If you're looking for small, light, affordable, and with hard sides, you might give Runaway Campers a try. They even have an off road version.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Do you have the factory installed 2 inch receiver?