Towing an Ex

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I performed a search, but couldn't find answer...

Tomorrow my dad and I are going to tow an Explorer about 700 miles. '93 4 door, 4x4, manual transmission. We will be using the old F250 and a tow dolly. (the type where 2 wheels are on the ground, 2 are carried) I plan on driving the truck home, but we have the dolly just in case.

Should it be towed with the rear wheels on the ground, or with the front on the ground? The front seems ok to me, since the hubs are not engaged, but you tell me. If the rear is on the ground, should the driveshaft be removed? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I would put the transfer case in neutral and have the rear wheels on the ground. I've also heard you're supposed to turn it on every 250 miles or so for a little bit so it can grease itself up or something...I don't really know though - hopefully someone can back this up or actually knows for sure

yah...he's right "12. Disconnect the drive shaft on the towed vehicle if rear-wheel or four-wheel drive. Consult your dealer if you are uncertain of the above. Towing above vehicle without disconnecting drive shaft will damage towed vehicle's transmission even if transmission is placed in neutral." - saw that on a website...but they also say you should put the front wheels on the dolly http://www.pensketruckrental.com/personal_rental/towing/towdolly.html

i love my zukis..flat tow with no problems =)

how are the zukis different?

Probably manual T-case.

remember to mark the D shaft before you drop it so it goes back in the same way for balance purposes !

yep manual t cases they have a true neutral

ooohhh ok, that's what I was talking about in my first post

Howdy. Thank for your input, however, I left for thr trip before I was able to read your replies...

I found out it was 2 wheel drive. Oh well. We tried towing it with the front wheels on the ground, but the wheels kept turning very slightly, so it was swaying. The steering wheel was locked straight, but I presume that slack in the steering box and linkages was causing the slight movement. So, we pulled over at a rest plaza and turned the truck around, so that the rear wheels were on the ground, and disconnected the driveshaft. We had no problems after that.

For about the first 100 miles, I decided to drive the truck. Eventhough it was a new purchase, I ran it through a Jiffy Lube before we left to change the engine oil, transmission oil (it's a manual if u didn't catch that) and the axle. I brought my own oil in case you guys have something against Penzoil.

More to post later about my purchase. Thanks guys. I will use your tips in future tows.

Back