• Register Today It's free!

towing and no 4x4

polecat

Reaction score
City, State
louisville , ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 sport
i have a 93 X sport 5spd im going from KY to NC and pulling a 5x8 trailer with 3 street motorcycles on it is this to much for it to Handel ? the bikes are about 500 pd apiece. and also my 4x4 is not working no light no click. i have power to the switch and the module i put 3 denfernt switch from the junk yard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for the towing, it should be alright.

But definitely make sure you have a proper hitch to tow it with, do NOT tow that from the bumper. Despite it's rated capacity, they are not that strong, especially for a long trip. It would also be good to have some sort of trailer braking if you don't have it.

For your 4x4, check out these links to get you started:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202166

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234677

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

As for the towing issue, you are fine as your towed load will be around 2000lb. Really won't need a trailer with brakes unless you get up to 5000lbs. Make sure your trailer has lights, and they work.
As for the 4x4 issue; it is either the motor on the t/c or the module in the cargo area. Excellent write-up on troubleshooting 4x4 problems here.

I hope you're not planning on towing in 4X4 that would be unwise on normal streets

is ther a way i can put a cable in place of the 4x4 motor?

i have been looking for sum kind of cable or a manaul switch that i could put in the place of the motor

The problem with a cable is that you have to turn the shaft almost 320*. Take off the shift motor (then you can shift into 4x4 with some pliers) and you'll see what I mean. One guy on here did try it. I don't think he was ever that successful. It's much easier to just swap in a manual t-case.

As for towing the bikes. If you get down here and decide it was a little too much stress on the truck, and that you don't want to tow all 3 back home, you can just leave one or two at my place for safe keeping. :burnout:

thanks for the heads up do you know what manal tcase would work?

Why yes I do, I just swapped my electric for a manual in January. You currently have a BW 1354 electric, you need a BW 1354 manual. Search the buy/sell forum here, check e-bay, look on craigs list, you may even find one locally. Just be sure it's not a BW 1350, those came in B-II's and rangers with engines smaller then the 4.0L.

cool i mite look in to that. was it hard to swap

you need trailer brakes if your over 1500#s including the trailer,as long as you have a good hitch you shoiuld be fine,don't pull off the bumper. as for the 4x4 I don't know

Back