Towing and trailer Brake wiring on a 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing and trailer Brake wiring on a 94

powersb

Reaction score
City, State
Boone, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm not sure if I have the tow package on my 94 explorer or not and am trying to find out. I've been reading some conflicting information.

There is a special round 6 or 7 wire connector under the rear bumper that a 4 prong trailer light connector is plugged into. (This looks factory installed)

I do have a transmission cooler. There is not a receiver hitch, just the bumber hitch rated at 3K pounds or so I think.

I read that Explorers that have the Trailer Tow package have relays in the rear access compartment that will click when brakes are applied if a trailer light connector is plugged into that round connector, and mine do click. (Always did wonder why it did that, now I know).

One of the reasons I want to know if I have the Towing package, is because there is then supposed to be a wiring harness under the dash to hook a electric brake controller to. I haven't yet found that. Anyone know where it would be on a 94 Explorer if it exists?

I'm also assuming that I can probably get a different trailer light plug (5-7 pin) to plug into that round plug under the bumper, to replace the 4 pin.

I just got a trailer a few weeks ago, so I never worried about this before.

Bob

Yes, you have the towing package, receiver hitches are a separate item. I am not aware of a connector under the dash for an electric brake. Hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this.

Hi Bob and welcome to the site.
Trailer wiring is fairly generic and you will be able to get different adapters to plug into the connector you have.. I am not aware of any factor electronic brake controller under the dash. Does your new trailer have brakes? Usually only very large/heavy trailers have brakes. Anyway I know several manufactures make Electronic brake controllers which basically sense when the brake lights go on and apply the brakes on the trailer. Obviously these controllers have no idea of what force your foot is applying the brake so they apply a force that has been set on the controller (light to heavy). These settings make it easy to adjust/modulate the trailer braking.

I believe the relays in the Explorer are used to separate the Explorer wiring from the trailer wiring. So if a short should happen to the trailer it will not affect the Explorer...

Back