Towing cap of 95 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing cap of 95 XLT

I got a 95 XLT 2wd/4wd with 4 wheel disk brakes, 5 speed manual trany, 4.0L and 3.73 differentials. Going to be shopping for a camping trailer, what can I tow with this? (realistic & semi safe) It has a bumper hitch now but I will install a frame hitch if needed.

I pull a boat and popup camper with it now and barley feel the 1,600Lbs It has plenty of power and no torque converter to over heat so I guess it’s a question of suspension and tongue weight.

From the factory, your truck is rated to tow up to 2600 lbs for a 4-door and 2800 for a 2-door. The factory bumper was rated for 350 lbs tongue weight and 3500 lbs gross trailer weight.

For a camper, you'll want to keep the dry weight around 2000 lbs max. Once loaded with gear and passengers, it'll put you right at you towing limit (if not over).

Good luck!

I pull a boat and popup camper with it now and barley feel the 1,600Lbs It has plenty of power and no torque converter to over heat so I guess it’s a question of suspension and tongue weight.

Actually, manual transmissions are usually rated lower on tow capacity. The reason is that it is relatively easy to burn out the clutch. With an auto trans, you have the advantage of torque multiplication as lower speeds when starting out.

A lot of it has to do with where you are towing. I used to tow my camping trailer (~ 1800 lbs empty, ~2400 loaded with gear and water) with my Ranger (2.9L, 5 speed manual). It was fine on flat ground, but not so great climbing at high elevations and scary when trying to start from a dead stop on a steep hill. Part of the reason for getting the Explorer was for better tow capacity.

I towed about a ton of stone with my ex its a 95 with 3.55 gears automatic and I'm probably around 15 miles from the quarry and til I got home I smelled tranny fluid really good without trying to sniff for it. On the scales with the ex, trailer and trailer loaded I weighed in at 7020 pounds, and it did just fine towing that but could deff feel it in the rear.

I have 3.73 gears, performance (upgraded) clutch and class 3 frame mounted hitch. What's a real world number with those upgrades?

Back