Towing capabilities | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing capabilities

GoCards

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
All,

I have looked and not found much on the actual real life experiences of towing behind the new 2011 Explorer. I realize that the towing capability has changed from previous models to be a 5000 lb max. We currently have a camper that I am sure will cause no problems but we are looking at upgrading to a camper that would come in around 4000 to 4500 lbs. With the new towing limit, I realize we are still under but can anyone give real life experience towing behind the new Explorer yet? We love the new design and hopefully people can put my mind at ease on it's towing capabilities.

TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a load of people, and a bunch of stuff in a 4500 pound camper I would guess you are over the limit.

I'm guessing it's a little new for a lot of real world comments on towing that much. One guy here mentioned he towed his boat, but didn't mention the size of it.

TJ- is that the gross weight of your (possible) new trailer loaded up ready to roll?

Just thought I would say to the OP, GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that would be the gross weight of the camper, fully loaded for the trip.

I figured it might be a bit early and will keep an eye on the forum over the next several months as the weather warms up and there are more opportunities for people to take campers, boats out.

1tufgt, Go Cards!

Yes, that would be the gross weight of the camper, fully loaded for the trip.

I figured it might be a bit early and will keep an eye on the forum over the next several months as the weather warms up and there are more opportunities for people to take campers, boats out.

1tufgt, Go Cards!

My boat comes out of storage in the end of April. It is aprox 4,000 pounds. If you remind us around then I'll sure to share my towing experiences.

I would like to note GCWR for the 4WD is 10096. This means that your weight of everything shouldn't go over that number. The explorer weighs in at about 4,695. So that gives you 5,401 pounds. This includes everything so people in the car, weight of the trailer etc. http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/specifications/towing/

So lets assume your trailer weighs 4,500 pounds fully loaded. Then you can still have 901 pounds for people. if you have 7 people that's 128 pounds a person. if you have 5 people that's 180 pounds a person.

My guess is you are likely towing this with a family, and should not have any issues... How it tows in real life is a good question. I have a very short way to tow my boat so I wasn't too worried about it. But I'll be sure to let you know.

RLWSNOOK, thank you. I look forward to your thoughts later this year. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you starting in April. It has been a cold winter here in the Midwest.

I will be hauling our '66 Mustang behind our Explorer (on a steel trailer) come late May and I'll post up how it does then.

I just towed my boat (boat plus trailer is close to 5,000 lbs). It was ok. I wouldn't plan out of state trips but the 40 min drive wasn't bad. If you are planning on traveling long distances with the camper that is close to 5,000 lbs, I would get something else.

BTW, the back up camera is so great. I used to get in and out of my truck 10x to line the ball up with the trailer. This was so easy with the camera. I believe the F150 has the same back up camera available.

my '11 XLT has a tow package. I understand is includes a:
"tire mobility kit"
can someone please educate me and explain what exactly is a:
"tire mobility kit"

Kit

my '11 XLT has a tow package. I understand is includes a:
"tire mobility kit"
can someone please educate me and explain what exactly is a:
"tire mobility kit"

Well, I have yet to get my X LTD but the manual I downloaded says the kit is under the driver's seat, in a pouch. Velcoed. It contains a small compressor and a pressurized canister of "gook" to seal a leak/puncture.

I figure the 'spare donut' compartment under the rear closed 3rd seat well is eliminated by the tow brace/mount???

Well, I have yet to get my X LTD but the manual I downloaded says the kit is under the driver's seat, in a pouch. Velcoed. It contains a small compressor and a pressurized canister of "gook" to seal a leak/puncture.

I figure the 'spare donut' compartment under the rear closed 3rd seat well is eliminated by the tow brace/mount???

Nope.. you get a spare and the compressor kit. I've got an XLT with the tow package and it comes with both.

We have a 3,500 lb. (dry weight) hybrid camping trailer, double axel, with a weight distribution hitch, and an added brake controller.

I towed it to our local Camping World last weekend to get the hitch height adjusted. It was the first time towing with this new TV. It was pretty stable, but it was just a short trip. The rear view mirrors are not quite wide enough for an 8 ft. wide camper! Next month we are going out to Pa. with the camper, about 400miles round trip. Will report back after that trip.

Re: towing wieght- I have read in my research about a 75% rule/guideline. Meaning you should try to keep the total towing weight to a max of 75% of the rated weight. The rating is based at sea level on a level surface. Higher levels(less oxygen levels in the air) and inclines (mountains and hills) can reduce the towing capability of the engine. Don't discount the added weight of equipment, people, water, "stuff", etc!

I would also keep in mind the drag. Towing a 24' camper that is 12' tall and weighs 5,000 pounds is a heck of a lot harder than a 5,000 lb boat or car towing.

We plan to pull my husbands 1999 Mustang race car come spring. It will be close to 5,000 pounds (car/trailer) I think the Explorer can handle it I just hope it doesn't put the back bumper on the ground! ;)

FYI. The manual states that if you use the tire mobility kit and spray the gunk into the tire, the pressure sensor is toast and needs to be replaced for about $75.

FYI. The manual states that if you use the tire mobility kit and spray the gunk into the tire, the pressure sensor is toast and needs to be replaced for about $75.

No wonder they provide you with a free canister of it. I'd rather plug the hole the old fashion way.

We had a successful trip last weekend. No problems towing, except for the mirror width, some rain, and a disapointing avg. 12 MPG for the trip (400mi)!

Back