• Register Today It's free!

towing capacities question

john gorsuch

Reaction score
City, State
new kensington, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer XLT
So when I got my 2017 2.3L ecoboost xlt explorer, I asked the dealer if I will be able to tow heavier loads, b/c I would like to eventually get a small camper trailer, and was told yes. Well recently I decided to start getting a hitch and such since mine didn't come with the tow package. So when calling around they said that I am limited and needed to verify what my pull capacity is. So I went to look it up and I find the manual to say 2000 lbs or 3000.....ITs an awd vehicle with auto tranny. Can anyone verify which it can have max tow?? And should I also put any coolers on ? engine oil or tranny? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without tow package is 2,000lbs . With tow package is 3,000lbs on the 2.3.

So you have a capacity of 2,000lbs.

^^^ Correct.

What is all listed in the tow package? I already put the hitch on and got the wire adapter from ford to connect into the harness.

Also i found a so called pamphlet that advertises the 2017 explorer and it contradicts the owners manual bc it lists the 2.3 eb with 4wd or awd at a towing capacity of 3000....thats why i am confused.

What is all listed in the tow package? I already put the hitch on and got the wire adapter from ford to connect into the harness.

Also i found a so called pamphlet that advertises the 2017 explorer and it contradicts the owners manual bc it lists the 2.3 eb with 4wd or awd at a towing capacity of 3000....thats why i am confused.
An aftermarket hitch installed on an Explorer gives it a 2000 lb. towing capacity, even if it is installed on a 3.5 AWD Ecoboost. This is likely because it doesn't have the necessary items installed for the extra capacity. I believe there is also a difference in transmissions in some cases. There is a post or thread that mentions the contents of the tow package. Try the 'Search' feature. That info was also available on the Ford website when you build an Explorer. Not sure if still is.

Peter

All Explorers are 2k without tow package regardless of engine. It is only if you have the factory tow that it increases (3k on 2.3, 5k on 3.5). Cant speak for the 2.3 but on the 3.5 it is a different trans, more cooling, tow button (changes shift points to keep higher rpms), and at least earlier models had a different radiator.

Does the pamphlet say 3,000 with a * or say "when properly equipped"? I can assure you if the 3.5 without tow is 2k, there is no way the 2.3 would be higher without tow package.

All Explorers are 2k without tow package regardless of engine. It is only if you have the factory tow that it increases (3k on 2.3, 5k on 3.5). Cant speak for the 2.3 but on the 3.5 it is a different trans, more cooling, tow button (changes shift points to keep higher rpms), and at least earlier models had a different radiator.

Does the pamphlet say 3,000 with a * or say "when properly equipped"? I can assure you if the 3.5 without tow is 2k, there is no way the 2.3 would be higher without tow package.
All the Ford pamphlets I've seen are pretty clear with the footnotes. The owners manual is also pretty clear (pg 242 3rd printing 201701). If one chooses to exceed any published manufacturer weight ratings, they do so at their own risk (and potentially others if it something happens).

Just to clarify for those that may come across this thread in the future looking for 5th gen towing specs.
Retail Explorers (w/o factory tow package) are 2K
Police "Explorers" (AWD - no factory tow package) are 2.5K

Back