Towing Capacity and Hitch Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity and Hitch Swap

Hi, new to the site and first post...

I am moving from Indiana to Texas and would like to pull my SUV (BMW X5, curb weight of approx 5000lbs) on a trailer behind my Explorer.

I have a 2002 XLT(4.0 v6) that has the factory Class II hitch receiver, and from reading other posts, this doesn't seem to indicate a towing package on the vehicle.

I assume that the auto trailer (from Budget or U-Haul) will require a class III hitch to pull it.

My questions are: Is is possible to swap the Class II receiver with a class III (off another vehicle)? If so, what years will work and is it a simple bolt off and on? If not, what is the best 3rd party receiver for my Explorer? Also, what should I know about towing this much weight over a 1300 mile trip? (i.e. tranny, coolant, etc.)

Thanks for taking the time to read and in advance for your responses. I just want to make sure I am prepared, as I plan to drive the 20+ hour trip with minimal stops, but don't want a broke down vehicle in the middle of Arkansas.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thought is I wouldn't recommend it on a trailer. Too much tongue weight and quite a load for your non towing package equipped vehicle. The main component of the towing package is lower gears- not a quick and easy swap out.

U Haul won't rent you a trailer anyway. :( Search this site and you'll see why.

I don't know a whole lot about the 3rd gens as far as hitch swapping, I know you can add a hitch under your existing hitch which looks kind of silly to me. I think some of those hitches are welded in as an integral part of the frame. Not sure on that though.

Lastly, breaking down in Arkansas wouldn't be all that bad- I'm here all the time (northern part though).

EDIT: It may just be simpler to drive the BMW or put it on a tow dolly??

You might be pushing the limits with that tow setup... The BMW is a heavy sucker at 5000 lbs curb weight? If you use a car hauler and put all 4 of your BMW's wheels off the ground--which is better with a 4x4 or RWD--you're probably looking at close to 7,000 lbs total (I think Uhaul's car hauler is 2000 lbs). Might be pushing the envelope with a V6 Explorer. :eek:

MoutainGreen: No offense to Arkansas, it was just the mid-point of my trip.

From your replies, and what I have found on this site, it would probably not be a great idea to tow a vehicle with my V6 Explorer with my given parameters. I did however find that Budget rents the vehicle trailer, but I did not think to ask about the "Exploder Exception". They dont' advertise them on their site, but select locations have them.

I guess my options are take a chance with the tow, have a vehicle shipped down, or make two trips. The last option would require new tires on the BMW, as I have been pushing the limits on the remaining rubber lately. Chalk it up to another moving expense.

Thanks for all your replies.

Ditto, a friend of mine mentioned a company which gladly accepts work to do when dead heading. I don't remember the website name, but that should be common right now, price of gas.

I agree with everyone. I would not take a chance towing something that heavy, plus a 1,500 pound trailer, you would be over the GVWR of an Explorer. Not to mention the crappy transmissions in these things, and if your rig doesn't have a tow package, it might not come with a transmission cooler. You might end up being out in the middle of nowhere and needing two tows.

My questions are: Is is possible to swap the Class II receiver with a class III (off another vehicle)? If so, what years will work and is it a simple bolt off and on? Mark
Yes, '02-'04 for sure ('05 too not sure) Ex/Mounty Hitches bolt up in 30 min. Junkyard i paid $75 someone said $90, get the harness. I use mine for a bike rack.

Also, what should I know about towing this much weight over a 1300 mile trip? (i.e. tranny, coolant, etc.)
Mark

It might be heavy for 3.55's, V6. Trans-cooler is already there.
When I have a heavy tow - but a lot less miles, I also got the V8. I keep the OD off and RPM are about 2500+ at 60mph. Engine is happy no problems.

Why not tow it behind the moving truck?

Towing capacity on a 2002 varies from 2400 lbs to 7180 lbs depending on the options the vehicle is equipped with.

First things first: 4x4 or 2wd? Manual or automatic? Which rear axle ratio does it have? (look on the door sticker if you're unsure)

Second, either way, it would require a class 3 hitch. You can bolt one on below the OEM class-2, or replace it with an OEM class-3 for a little more time and effort. Either way, it's what you'll need.

At any rate, any trailer pulled by your explorer that weighs more than 3500 lbs requires a weight-distributing hitch. That's not possible to get from u-haul (even if they would rent to you anyways) and it's unlikely Budget's car hauler has a WDH either as they typically are equipped with surge brakes.

Unfortunately, hauling a 5000 lb SUV on a car hauler is likely going to be beyond the capabilities of your Ex. While it may be possible to purchase an open car hauler trailer with electric brakes and equip it with a weight distributing hitch and retrofit your vehicle with the proper eauipment to tow it, at that point, the question becomes: Why bother? For all the cost involved, you'd likely be better-off using a car hauling company to deliver it to your doorstep. As mentioned, that might cause the least headaches.

Just out of curiosity, why not haul the Ex with the Beemer? IIRC, aren't the BMW's rated for something north of 6000 lbs? Oh, and u-haul will rent to BMW drivers...

-Joe

Back