TOWING CAPACITY FOR 96 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TOWING CAPACITY FOR 96 XLT

ghostnthedark

Reaction score
City, State
newportnews,va
Year, Model & Trim Level
does anybody know the towing cap.for a 96 xlt v6?i need to tow a mitsu eclipse from mississippi to va!! what size trailer would i need? can the v6 pull this car and trailer?:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by ghostnthedark
does anybody know the towing cap.for a 96 xlt v6?i need to tow a mitsu eclipse from mississippi to va!! what size trailer would i need? can the v6 pull this car and trailer?:confused:

Look inside your manual. the amount is based on what rear end you have in your truck, if it's 4x4, 2 door or 4 door.

You'll be stressing your tranny heavily. The advertised capacities I believe are 350/3500 (tongue/gross).

didnt have a manual with the truck when i bought it. so are you saying dont tow it? it's a 2wd with the 4wd button?

Do you have a hitch? You certainly CAN NOT rely on the bumper mount to tow this vehicle. You will need at least a class III hitch. Check out CURT manufacturing if you are serious about towing (assuming you don't have a hitch)...but read on...

You probably shouldn't tow more than the amount Alec mentioned for that long distance. Its one thing to move from points a to b if you're only going 20 miles, but I wouldnt risk it on that long of a haul. You'll go from two vehicles to none in no time.

Just my $0.02:D

huh?

Anyways, if you're flat towing it or towing it with a light trailer it's doable. Just make sure you have an auxilliary tranny cooler, and be easy on the tranny. Drive fairly slowly and stay out of OD if you can.

And good luck renting a trailer or dolly.

yes, i have a hitch already,and im towing with a trailer..oh i know may seem like a dumb question but do i drive with the od light on or off?when i hit the button the od lightillumintes and says od/off......but i normally drive with the light not illuminated??

When the light is on, you have 3 gears (OD off); when the light is off, you have 4 gears (OD on).

heh

hope you're not planning to rent a Uhaul auto transport..

Karol

Go to Penske or Budget and rent a dolly..

Re: heh

Originally posted by ExplorerEB96
hope you're not planning to rent a Uhaul auto transport..

Karol
na, i started that thread about the uhaul incident. im in the military and im renting one from the autoshop on base

Back