• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity???

OL Crony

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Edition
i've been shopping for a new ford truck with towing capacity at the heart of my search criteria and have come across conflicting reports on the internet...

i have seen numbers showing that the 5.0L Xs have a towing capacity of around 5000Lbs.

i am also considering the expedition with the 5.4L but have seen towing capacities listed as 4000Lbs and 7000Lbs. which is it?

any input is appreciated.

az

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 AWD explorers can tow somthing like 6,500 or alittle less i have not checked the book latly.

4.0 ohv 4door autos are rated at 5,000 or alittle more...not exact on these numbers but within 300 pounds i will check my owners manul tomarro.

5.4 expys can tow somthing like 8,000 i think..

My 4.6 is good for a little over 7000 lbs with the 3.73 so I would see what the axle is on the engine you want first.

The most I've ever pulled with mine was about 2500 on the back bumper (its reinforced) However just towing that amount on 4-6% grades it didn't handle it well. Level to mild hills/grades I can see where pulling 4-5k wouldn't be to bad but if you live in a hilly area get something with more cubes! 5.4 all the way. My Explorer can rock my dads 5.4 in a little drag race but both of us pulling the same boat is just sad. I can't do what he can. I slow down to 45mph on a certain hill while he still managed 60mph. We both have 3.73 gears, and almost the same exact tire size.

Of course several things can be done to remedy this. 347, blower, heads, custom cam, 4.10's. :confused:

weird. my dads 97 V8 AWD towed our 4.5k TT up some very large moutains and we where staying at 65MPH without a problem. even my moms 94 4.0 4x4 was able to keep 60MPH with the same TT.

I towed a 24' 4000lbs travel trailer from Dallas to San Diego...in my 2dr 4.0ohv :D 65mph all the way! That was with 3:73's and a manual.

But to answer your original question: If your looking for something for towing large or heavy loads...buy something built for that purpose...ie...Superduty, f250, f350. If you need the room that an SUV has for family and whatknot...def go w/ the expedition. While our explorers can handle towing...they are not meant for large/heavy loads= to small, to unstable, and deminished braking capacity...with or without weight distribution and elec brakes.
JM2cents, J

The other thing I have to deal with is 5000-6000ft elevation. It kills power like no other.

What's the handling/towing difference between the 4.6L and the 5.4L, other than the obvious hp. I would of course like to purchase the 5.4 but those truck seem to be consistently a couple of thousand dollars more expensive than the 4.6. I don't plan to be towing long distances and the biggest hill that i will probably climb is that grade coming out of the boat launch.

the 4.6 is a dog!! even with a unloaded expy. we had a 98' 4.6 4x4 and it was slow!

the 5.4 handles towing much better. quicker to get to speed and does not loose any speed on large hills/moutains like the 4.6 did.

Back