• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity

jcoulter

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I have an 02 EB Explorer with a 4.0 engine and class II hitch. I am wanting to tow a boat from Virginia to Texas (1200 miles). The dry weight of the boat is 5000 lbs. Not sure what the trailer weighs but I'm guessing another 750. If I switch out to a class III hitch, do you think I could pull this boat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my owner's manual, that's the limit for my 04 with the 4.0 and class III/IV hitch. I'd suggest a weight distribution setup, and you should be fine if the trailer has some form of brakes. Should be fien without trailer brakes, but it would be a lot nicer with brakes.

yeah, but he said he has a Class 2 hitch...probably not a good idea to tow a boat 1200 miles with the class 2 hitch...change it out to a class 3 and you be fine.

I am not claiming to be an expert, but there are other differences between the tow package besides the class 3/4 hitch. The tow package includes a large oil cooler and a different (3.73 compared to 3.55) rear end. The rated tow limit is NOT only based on the hitch. The published rating for the non tow package Explorer is 3500 lbs.

hlenoble said:
I am not claiming to be an expert, but there are other differences between the tow package besides the class 3/4 hitch. The tow package includes a large oil cooler and a different (3.73 compared to 3.55) rear end. The rated tow limit is NOT only based on the hitch. The published rating for the non tow package Explorer is 3500 lbs.

Right you are sir. Mine has the tow package. I've towed many things, not with my X, behind vehicles with a certain rating that was lower than the total weight of the trailer. With a Class 3/4 hitch, trailer brakes and a weight distribution setup, he should be fine as long as all that doesn't exceed his GVWR. Is it an ideal setup that he has right now, nope. Is it possible, probably. Would I do it, nope. That's a heavy boat to be dragging behind an X.

jcoulter said:
I have an 02 EB Explorer with a 4.0 engine and class II hitch. I am wanting to tow a boat from Virginia to Texas (1200 miles). The dry weight of the boat is 5000 lbs. Not sure what the trailer weighs but I'm guessing another 750. If I switch out to a class III hitch, do you think I could pull this boat?

Look at it this way, the weight you are looking at towing could easily be over 6,500 lbs. Is the boat brand new? If not, it will be a bit higher than the dry weight, as it will probably have fluids in it, and the hull will have some moisture due to osmosis (unless it has always been stored on the trailer). Being in Virginia, I am assuming that there will be mountains involved also, this will be tough on the drivetrain. It will age your truck and may cause damage, but there is also the chance that you will be fine.

I pull a 3000/3500 lb boat with my V6, It has the towing package and tows fine on the flats. But going up a mountain grade mine gets quite a work out, 3rd gear, 40 mph. I wish then that I had the V8. Your boat sounds to be a bit heavy. Alot rests with your comfort level and the route that you'll be driving. You might want to try a test run, hook up the boat and find a long local hill to pull it up.

As others have said, you need the complete towing package including oil cooler, rear axle gearing, etc, not just a class III hitch. Your total towing load is likely in the 6500-7000lbs range (5000 dry weight boat + 500 lbs fluids and gear + 1200lb trailer). I would be hesitant to tow this even with a V8 Explorer with tow package with weight distributing hitch.

For what its worth I have a V8 '03 Ltd with tow package and tow a 4200lb dry weight boat. Even with a V8, hills are very noticeable. I dread thinking about towing an additional 800lbs with a V6 over such a long distance. That's F250 territory.

Back