• Register Today It's free!

Towing capacity

bimmerpowered

Reaction score
City, State
Owings Mills, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I would imagine that my 2001 Explorer Sport doesn't have the towing capacity to car my BMW (about 3200 lbs). What do I need to do or what do I need to beef up the vehicle so I can safely tow it? I want to hit VIR and some other tracks further from MD, but don't want to end up stranded if something happens to the car...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd be fine flat towing it, but with the added weight of a trailer shouldn't do it for a long distance.

Originally posted by Alec
You'd be fine flat towing it, but with the added weight of a trailer shouldn't do it for a long distance.

I was thinking of putting the car on a trailer. Don't want to flat tow (I assume you mean just towing along directly behind me) it for 3 hours down to VA or NY. Argghhh...

What do I need to do to beef it up? or can it be done?

Mine towed 5000# for 200 miles without a problem with the drivetrain. However, the leaf springs were practically ruined. I also have a beefy tranny cooler. Over 3500# definately isn't best for the truck though.

Back