Towing Help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Help please

Hi
I have a 01 V6 4.0 Ex ST 2x4.

I have the option of buying one of two campers. 1) is a 04 Hi-LO 22' TowLite.
2) is a 2011 FunFinder 189FBS.
My problem is I can't answer this question so I'm asking for help.
Question is one has the
1) hilo 04 is low wind only 71" high when its being towed.
UVW is 3850 lbs / GVWR 5500 lbs from the owner he says, he tongue weight is 460lbs (hitch weight)
Length is 22ft by 94" wide and height when tow71'.

2)FunFinder is 2011 axle weight 2,865 lbs / hitch weight 290 / dry weight 3,155

Exterior Length 18'-9"
Exterior Width 7'
Exterior Height (with A/C) 10'-5"

What is the better way to go for my 01 ex ST automatic Tran axle 42 D.

Any help as far height (wind) and hitch weight towing concern's.

Thanks
12:01 a moment or 3 min's of silence :salute::usa:

You need to look in your owners manual towing section to determine the various maximum weights you can tow. There will also be a weight reduction documented you need to take into account if you will be doing lots of mountain or high altitude towing.

The Ford towing guide shows a GCVW of 9100 Lbs for the 2 door and 9600 Lbs for the 4 door. It doesn't list a max tongue weight but you OM will. The GCVW includes all passengers, hitch, truck cargo, trailer and trailer cargo. You need to figure out what your loaded vehicle weight will be and subtract this from GCVW to determine what you have left for towing.

Keep in mind that the trailer dry/tongue weight does not include the weight of standard items like the battery, propane tank or any options added to the trailer. You will have to factor these in yourself. The tongue weight calculation needs to take into account any cargo loaded behind the rear wheels of your TV. You will also need to factor in the weight of any fresh, black or grey water you carry along with other cargo.

I suspect both will be too heavy for your vehicle. With both you could bring the weight down by managing what you take with you. I've found since getting our trailer, while we still travel reasonably light, we are finding things to take with us that we didn't used to when we tent camped. A lot has to do with us using the TT as an alternative to hotels in addition to camping but it is something to keep in mind about how easy it is to add to the weight.

You need to find your max tow rating, which will depend on whether you opted for a factory tow package or not. If no HD towing package, you should not tow either of these, since you only have 3500 lbs rating, and both will be more than that by the time you load them. Even if you kept the lighter one under 3500, you would have no capacity for anything in the truck, and the wind resistance would kill you. 3500 lbs MAX tow rating = popup camper (the traditional kind...think 2500 lbs dry).

If you have the HD tow package, then you likely have around 5500lbs tow rating. You could likely basely handle either camper if you stay in flat areas. Hard to say what would be better for towing, the lighter model, or the shorter model. I'd say go for the lighter/taller model, and just be willing to drive slower.

Back