• Register Today It's free!

Towing hitch help

Sandman73

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla,AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
ok everyone i have a 2003 Mounty, we are moving from Washington to Iowa and i need to tow a small trailer, the mounty has the hitch that is built into the bumber. i need to know is that concidered a class 1 hitch or what??? i got the v6 and i have to go through the mountains is it going to be able to safley tow a trailer like from uhual??? I am new to having this Mounty so please help....

thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isnt that a class 2? Check your owner's manual -- all the info should be there.

First, no U Haul :) They won't let you.

Second, what size is the mounting hitch? Measure or approximate the size of the square hole and we can figure from there...

First, no U Haul :) They won't let you.

Second, what size is the mounting hitch? Measure or approximate the size of the square hole and we can figure from there...

I don't have any info on the hitch you have, but I think he could go to u-haul if he wanted to because he has a mountaineer; it's explorers that aren't allowed. But regardless, i'd stay away from u-haul because of their problems with maintaining equipment, falsely authorizing that equipment has safely been inspected before renting out, and hearing the stories of people being seriously injured from equipment mishaps and failures.

My 2005 had a sticker right on the hitch that said class III/IV

No Mounties either... they don't like us

I don't have any info on the hitch you have, but I think he could go to u-haul if he wanted to because he has a mountaineer; it's explorers that aren't allowed. But regardless, i'd stay away from u-haul because of their problems with maintaining equipment, falsely authorizing that equipment has safely been inspected before renting out, and hearing the stories of people being seriously injured from equipment mishaps and failures.

A member just got turned away for bringing a Mounty to U Haul...

I just seen a 3rd gen pulling a small u haul down the hwy yesterday. I pull small boats and a 10ft trailer all the time and all i use is the hole in the bumper with a 2in ball in it. works fine for what i am going to do...i never pull anythin more than 1000 lbs tho

They come with a factory class 2 hitch. If you have the tow package then it is upgraded to a class 3. If you have the tow package you will have a seven pin connector for the wiring left of center on the hitch. If you have the smaller class 2 I think you are limited to towing 3500 pounds or less. You would also need to get a kit so you could hookup the wiring for the trailer. If you have the tow package it should plug right up. You would have to add a brake controller if it has brakes.

I have the tow package and the V6 and I have towed a small camper round 3,000 pounds with no problems. I think mine is rated to tow up to 5500 pounds but I have never pulled anything that heavy with it.

Yeah it looks like the wire harness is directly next to the receiver.. It has the 1 1/4" receiver so yeah i am pritty sure its a class 2..

i have been on uhauls web site and i know that with an explorer you can't rent a trailer, but it willl take the Mounty and let me go all the way to the reservation so it should be ok I am gonna take it to uhaul this week end to make sure thiey say it cool.. Doe anyone know of another place to rent a cargo trailer to travel long distance i am needing like a 5x8..

Back