Towing Motorcycle Cross Country | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Motorcycle Cross Country

'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD. Class III hitch already installed (previous owner used to tow his boat)

First time towing anything this sort of distance over any sort of real terrain, here.

Just towing a little 650 V-star (+/-500lbs) in either a 4x8 enclosed trailer or motorcycle-specific trailer, but going to be towing from Las Vegas to PA. Biggest concern is Eastern Utah/Colorado (taking I70 until I can catch the I80 up through Nebraska, etc).

Any tips on what specifically to check for, before I go? Any idea on how this is going to affect the gas mileage? And with heavier loads I know O/D is a definite no-no.... but with this sort of weight in the back, same? Or just in the mountains? Brake controller?

Moving cross country and breaking down would be a pretty bad situation at this point. Any helpful advice is appreciated, thanks in advance...

You definitely dont need a brake controller and you'll probably hardly notice that you have a trailer. As for the Rocky Mountains, you should be fine, just take it easy and take in the scenery.

You definitely dont need a brake controller and you'll probably hardly notice that you have a trailer. As for the Rocky Mountains, you should be fine, just take it easy and take in the scenery.

Sort of what I was hoping to hear.

As for the mountains, yeah it's a fantastic drive. I've actually done PA --> NV twice now, this will be the first time the other direction (and first time towing).

Awesome trip, great time of year to be doing it, too. (Next month)

I towed my two bikes several times on a 4x8 open trailer, but the longest trip was a KZ750 from Chicago to the LA area about a year ago.

Tips:
-Use a good straps, and the neccesary amount. If you can make V's (multiple straps to the same point) do it. kinda like insurance...
-if using a non-motorcycle trailer, I recommend a wheel chock ala http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6788&xSec=73 Mine was ~$20 at tractor supply co.
-DO NOT USE A BIKE COVER/TARP!!! it's easier to remove dust and water spots than scratches.
-use the tripple clamp as a try down if you can, versus the handlebars
-compress the suspension a bit, but not any more than riding "double-up". Don't bottom your shocks
-Tye up the ends of your straps so they don't blow in the wind
-pad strapping that rests on paint or chrome.

Honestly, I like an open trailer over a covered trailer because you can see what the bike is up to over bumps, and around corners.

I agree that you don't need a brake controller. Take it easy and enjoy the drive, speed limit... blah, blah, blah...

I own a 3rd gen, so I don't know what the 2nd gen's have in the way of trans coolers. But that's would be my only recommendation prior to ANY long distance towing.

Use your judgement on o/d. The only time I ran with mine off was heading up the mountains. If you're shifting alot, the trans is hunting... turn it off. But driving across Illinois and Kansas? Fuggitaboutit, I left it on and set the cruise.

Yea with such a little load you wont notice it... Lets say.. 1200lbs max with a heavy trailer. I've had that much in people and stuff in my 98 Mountie and didn't notice a problem. If i were you i'd run OD on the Flats and click it off when you get to the mountains. And just check all your fluids, brakes, I always like to be safe a bleed out the brakes to get fresh fluid through it before a LONG trip, and be **** about your tires and Pressure. I've seen way to many avoidable accidents because of neglected tires. Btw if you were to take i70 straight through to PA then you would pass within a mile of my house lol, Just thought that was funny.

Back