Towing Newbie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello All,

I have a 2010 V6 Ford Explorer. My wife and I are looking at campers and I want to make sure we don’t get something too big or that we aren’t prepared for what we find. So please help.

I have ordered this Class III to put onto my explorer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Curt/13112.html

With this being a Class III it says the tow capacity is 5000, but also says that with a Weight Distribution System, the capacity can be 8000. But the sticker inside my driver’s side door says the GVWR is 6190 lbs.

So my questions:
1) Since my vehicle’s GVWR is 6190, the 8000 option is out correct? Even with a WDS?
2) Do I need to add on anything else to tow a 4000-5000 lb camper? Or is the class III enough?

Thank you for your help!

I would not even consider towing 8000lbs with your explorer. And no reputable dealer would allow you to drive off the lot with one. Unless your vehicle came with the factory tow package (and if you're having to add a Class III hitch I'd wager it didn't), you should add an auxiliary transmission cooler, a 7-pin plug (for connecting electrically to the trailer) and a brake controller for the brakes that I'd hope will be on a 4-5000lb camper. With the V-6 I'd stay more in the 3500 to 4000lb range. There are some nice campers out there in that range that have plenty of room for 2.

Without the Towing package the Explorer is rated to tow 3500 lbs, with the V6 towing package it is rated at roughly 5000 lbs. You can come close to the factory tow package with the class III Hitch and the transmission cooler, however the package also includes 3.73 gears, and those would be harder and more expensive to install.
Honestly, with 4-5000lbs I'd use a V8. I have a 3500 lb camper that I tow with a 2007 5.4 Expedition with the tow package, and though it causes no problems, I can definitely feel it back there. I used to tow it with a 5.0 2000 Explorer with the tow package, and it had to work at it. Of course, my experience is for a 20 year old Gen II Explorer, not a 10 year old (more modern) Explorer.

If you’re towing a heavy camper you are going to want a weight distributing hitch regardless of it not increasing your capacity.

) Since my vehicle’s GVWR is 6190, the 8000 option is out correct? Even with a WDS?

You never want to tow a trailer that's heavier than your truck and the main deal I would say is the axle rating is not very high and tounge weight is a concern. If you did get a trailer that heavy it's going to be hard to control.

Back