Towing on the bumper question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing on the bumper question

i have a 96 explorer v6 4x4 with the towing package(tranny cooler, 3.73 gear ratio, and trailer lights), but not a frame hitch.

i need to tow a 6"x12" uhaul trailer for 800 miles.

the uhaul trailer is going to be pretty much light because i need it to move some heavy furniture when i arrive in my place with an f-150.

if i take it easy can i tow it on the bumper or is too dangerous?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will tow package be able to fit between daul exhaust

i looking for a class three that will fit on my 1996 explorer without messing up my costom exhaust pipes coming out the back any ideas. i would tow off the bumper if i could but i driving 1500 miles with a saturn car on a dually behind me any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would never pull a car on a tandem axle trailer on the bumper- It will bend and warp like crazy.

I doubt you will find a hitch to work with duals that were put on without a hitch present, but it all depends on how they are bent and hung.

I tow my boat of my bumper mounted hitch its rated for 3500 pounds never had any problems.

2058565_160_full.jpg

Well, to each their own, me personally, I'd never tow anything on the bumper- hooking and unhooking seemingly always damages the bumper from backing too far. I have removed a rear bumper before, no more than mounts them, I'd want a frame hitch.

Well, to each their own, me personally, I'd never tow anything on the bumper- hooking and unhooking seemingly always damages the bumper from backing too far. I have removed a rear bumper before, no more than mounts them, I'd want a frame hitch.

Me too.

I like my bumper keeps the little clearance I have and I just pull small trailers with quads on them so it works great for me. I just pull the trailers up to the truck so I don't have any bumper damage problems. Have towed 2 cars on tow dolleys before and it did well just take it easy. But dolleys are crazy light compared to a tandem axle.

Any decent shop that does hitches or frame work
can also beef up your bumper hitch by welding plate
reinforcements underneath and braces to the frame.
Basically making the bumper part of the frame.
Be pretty damn strong and you wouldnt lose ground clearence.
Bad part is if you get in an accident you would have to cut it off
to replace it.

Towing at 2300lb car

Im gonna be towing a 2300lb Car about 50 miles, using my bumper.
Do u think i will be alright using a dolly trailer. to tow the car.???

Yes, as long as your bumper is a factory tow bumper. Not sure if all bumpers are rated to tow. I have pulled several cars on dolleys with mine. Did great! Like with all towing be careful go slow so you have full control and remember it will take much longer to be able to stop.

Back