Towing opinions for 2002 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing opinions for 2002 Sport Trac

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey everybody! First off I have to give a big "hats off" to everyone on the forum for your vast knowledge! With that said, I am looking for some really good opinions on towing;
I plan on pulling a 7X14 Dual axle w/ brakes enclosed trailer with my 2002 ST. I already have a Class III hitch and four plug connector, but the new trailer is a 7-way bargman plug. What controller would you recommend, and what is the best way (or easiest) to hook up all the wiring? I have read the posts for some newer ST's, but none on the '02.
BTW, I'll just be hauling around 500-700 additional pounds inside the trailer.
Thanks for all the help :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't used one in a while but I did have the Kelsey's. The Tekonsha Prodigy models are highly recommended. You'll have to run your own 12 ga. Blue wire for the trailer, the lights can be tapped into from the other plug.

You can window shop, or buy, HERE

Thanks again ncranchero! You always have the answers when I need em! :D

Don't forget your 3rd member and trans

When pulling a trailer the additional load and wind resistance will add significant heat to your trans. If your don't have a trans cooler, get one, if you do, secondary won't hurt. Don't forget synthetic trans fluid, it really help fight the added heat. Also if you're not running a 4.10 rear gear, you definately should consider a synthetic gear oil. I run Royal Purp in my trans and rear axle. I also have a secondary trans cooler, aan a 180 degree thremostat and a MagTech rear pumpkim cover for additional cooling and volume. It depends on how serious a load you'lle pull, but if you got a trailer it will find a full load some day. I pull a 4500lb travel trailer with my 03 trac, 4.10 rear gear and have no problems. Scan gauge to monitor trans temp and water temp. Average trans temp is 160 degrees on a 105 degree west Tex day pulling trailer. Things to be aware of are when the trans downshifts and torque convertor lock up disengages, trans temps can rise rapidly. In the hills while towing you have to know when trans temps are above 175 so you can let up or stop. This will save your ride and you will some day help someone too. Good luck.

Ive pulled a 6500lbs setup for a couple hours. My transmission ran at a steady normal temp the whole time despite the immense strain. It was also about 70* outside so temperature wasn't a huge factor but it wasn't cold out either.

Thanks for everyones experience! I have been getting some specs on a 7X14 trailer, it has 200# tongue weight with dual axles and brakes. By everyones comments the 02 ST should do ok. I do have the 4.10 rear end and factory tranny cooler. Gonna go with the brake modulator that ncranchero recommended and may upgrade the tranny cooler along with having my tranny serviced with synthetic fluid added :D BTW, what brand tranny temp guages has everyone been using for the ST? I have seen some pics on a pillar mount, does anyone have an install for this?
Thanks again for all the opinions, any other opinions welcome!!

I have a 02 4x4 with 3.73 rear that I tow a 1800# tent trailer that I am sure we have at least 500# of stuff in it plus the bed is either filled with a yamaha warrior quad or other stuff. I have an extra trans 5000# trans cooler in line with the factory cooler and use a tekonsha brake controller. I have also ran 2 aux wires to the 7 pin plug for brakes and chargeing of trailer battery, which is on a relay. I popped out the drivers side licence plate light and put the plug there. I also wired the plug so my factory 4 pin can be unpluged from the 7 pin so I can use it for other trailers that my have that plug and I don't to buy an adapter for the 7 pin. Yeah I am cheap. I have towed other heavier things and never had a problem but as they say, victory favors the prepared.

Would you happen to know what brand/ model trans cooler you used along with the factory one?
BTW, what brand tranny temp guages has everyone been using for the ST? I have seen some pics on a pillar mount, does anyone have an install for this?
I ordered a brake controller here https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4751&SEName=tekonsha-prodigy-p2
and a 7 plug vehicle-end adapter here http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.c...ti-tow_ford_gm_74_oe_replacement_1999-09.html
from www.brakecontroller.com. I hate to say it, but I think the adapter is incorrect for my '02 ST. It has the factory 4-pin trailer connector, but I could not find anything under the truck for the new adapter to plug into :-( I did find two wires coming out of the wiring loom that were labeled as Aux wires (two different names), not sure if I can use them or not.
I was also told to use this harness for the brake controller https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=49&SEName=3035-tekonsha-harness, has anyone used this controller harness before?
Sorry for so many questions, but I want to get this lined out before I drive to Georgia to pick up new trailer.
Thanks again :)

Ok I have almost got everything done for the brake controller, would anyone know the wire color for the cold side of the brake switch on the truck?

02BPPSwitch.gif

FOMOCO

Back