Towing Pontoon Boat with 2012 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Pontoon Boat with 2012 Explorer

ramseyiiis

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Limitd
:usa:Glad I bought a new 2012 Ford Explorer, Limited with Tow Package. I read lots of reviews and drove quite a few SUVs and Ford was at the top of our list despite some of the reviews. We are assuming we will be able to pull our 24ft Pontoon boat (about 1950lbs) with 60hp OB without a problem since we do have double axle tandem trailer with brake system on the interstate? Any suggetions greatly appreciated though!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will tow just fine. I've been hauling my Mustang's around on a trailer behind my '11 just fine, and the combo weighs around 5k lbs.

My only concern would be wind resistance towing at interstate speeds...

Mah- the Ex is slightly larger than a pontoon boat, so it should draft just fine... <snickering> :D

Seriously though- It'll be fine. They're light, and so much air passes through them when you tow, they're not hard to tow at all. I used to pull my parent's 24' Crest pontoon with a 50hp on it with my '99 4.0L Ranger.

Towing Pontoon Boat with 2012 Ford Explorer

Thanks to all for the quick assist and easing the wife and my mind. THe V6 has great pickup and we will keep it under the speed limit, when 70 will do 65ish. SEMPER FI and have a Blessed Day!

Back