towing pop-up camper and bikes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing pop-up camper and bikes

I'm hoping for some suggestions! We recently bought an all wheel drive 2014 Explorer with the tow package. We also have a pop up camper that we tow. We would also like to take our bikes camping. How do others haul the camper and bikes? We have a hitch mounted bike rack and are considering getting a two-way adapter for the hitch. Is that too much weight on the hitch? Other suggestions?

..I see a lot of bikes mounted to the top of the pop up campers..;)

proformance-rack-1.jpg

You need to keep balance in mind but I've seen bike carriers attached the rear bumpers of trailers. If your Explorer has a roof rack you could also use that.

Not knowing the tongue weight and other factors, it's difficult to give you a good answer. We towed a 3000lb (loaded) popup behind a Chrysler minivan for 7 seasons. With the TW already at 375lbs (and already using a WDH kit), the last thing I wanted was more weight on the coupler area. So we went with a rooftop bike rack for the van.

I know you already have a hitch-mount rack, so you probably don't want to buy another. If you want to use a 2-way like that, you'll need to add the weight of the bikes, rack, and trailer-TW together, and see if you are still under the TW limit of the Explorer (500lbs?).

The good thing about the roof rack is that it works with or without the trailer.

Back