• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

gerber

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hey all...new here, nice site. Quick question for you all. I have a 2003 Explorer XLT. I have a '72 Porsche 911 that I restored for track use and a nice covered trailer for towing to the track. The trailer weighs around 1500lbs (fiber glass) and the car around 2000lbs. (Not sure... but pretty light)

I am having no troubles with pulling, however I feel like it is pulling the back end down a bit and lifting the front a bit. I towed it from 100 miles or so but it doesn't feel quite right. I pull the car on as it is a rear mount engine and have the engine over the trailer's axels.

I was thinking I have a few options and wanted to see what y'all think.
  • Stableizers for the trailer. Not 100% sure how they work but they go on the trailer and redistribute the weight to the middle of the truck.
  • Air Shocks
  • Spacers/Stiffer shocks
  • Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys! See you on the road.
Gerb. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

air shocks would sovle the weighted down rear end problem

The rear weighted car is probably the problem. You're right that most of the weight should be over the trailer's axle. However, you probably have too much tongue weight. You should try to keep it between 200 and 350 lbs.

Thanks all. I think I'll price out air shocks this week.

Alec: My car is rear engine, but I pull it in, not back it in so shouldn't it be the same as backing a front engine in? The trailer has two axels so I am pretty sure I have the engine over them. I'll be sure that I am not up too far, however back too far can create some swerve problems too I assume. (Besides, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in the trailer.)

the enigine is over the axles but that means that the rest of the car is between the axles and the hitch which is why it is causing the back to sag,t here is too much weight there.

jared ajlouny said:
the enigine is over the axles but that means that the rest of the car is between the axles and the hitch which is why it is causing the back to sag,t here is too much weight there.

yep, too much toung weight, check this link out, it may just solve your problem. when you use it it drapatically lifts weight off the rear of the truck and evenly distributes it.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/hi_pef_trunnion_bar_wd.htm

Thanks! It was my dad's trailer before mine and the longer, heavier trucks (Yukon XL/Suburban) had no troubles pulling it. I know for the new trailer he had air shocks installed and has enjoyed them for towing or for heavy loads. Do you think the air shocks would solve it also, or is the weight distribution hitch the best option?

Also, any ideas on install prices? I have a friend who is a finance manager at an RV sales place and I think they do them. Perhaps he can get me a deal. ;) Air shock install prices?

Thanks! Again, great site... very helpful.

The air shocks would help, but you still don't want to exceed tongue weight specs for the truck, which is 350 lbs.

Alec said:
The air shocks would help, but you still don't want to exceed tongue weight specs for the truck, which is 350 lbs.
Thanks... good to know. I talked to my friend from the RV place today at church and he said he could hook me up, so I think I may go that route. ;) Thanks for the help!

Back