• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

arcticguy57

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've got a 92 Ex. with a 5 manual tranny. I just bought a 13' compact travel trailer and I've seen on some of these posts that I shouldn't tow anything in 5th gear. The trailer weighs 1300 pounds. Why is it bad to tow anything in 5th gear and what could happen if I do? Thanks

well honestly it can pull it but remember the weak part in these explorers are the tranny. and at times the extra strain of towing especially larger loads in fifth gear causes the tranny to go out in them. so just be cautious.

my utility trailer weighs 1100 pounds empty and i often load it up with lumber and tools. i'd guess i'm close to 4000 pounds on occassion. i drive in 5th gear all the time towing it. it is gutless and won't climb any hills and if there is a head wind i end up using 4th or even 3rd to keep it rolling. i just crank up the electric brakes and it stops great with the weight. i use an equalizer hitch to keep it sitting level. i towed the same trailer behind my bronco ll for 18 years doing the same thing and never had any troubles with the Mitsubishi 5 speed in that.
the explorer has 3.73 gears and the bronco ll has 4.10 both on 235/75x15 michelin rubbers.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner towing his boat in 5th is what killed the tranny in my Dakota, it's doubtful you'll save any fuel by towing in 5th anyways.

Back