• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

Wsucougar

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I may be purchasing a 2006 Eddie Bauer with a V8 with 60k miles (grandmas car to drive to church and home). It doesn’t have the tow package, but I’m looking at the possibility of adding a class 3 hitch, brake controller and possible trans cooler if it’s not equipped. We have a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100bh with a dry weight of 3800lbs and a max weight of 5000lbs. We currently tow it with our 2020 Subaru Ascent, which does just fine towing it. I really want to find out if towing this trailer with my grandmas explorer, and if anyone has a similar model that they are towing with. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve been towing my 3,500 pound camper for 15 years with my 2006 V6 without the tow package. Just hit 165,000 miles still on original transmission

I’ve been towing my 3,500 pound camper for 15 years with my 2006 V6 without the tow package. Just hit 165,000 miles still on original transmission
That is impressive with the way everyone is always ragging on that transmission.

That is impressive with the way everyone is always ragging on that transmission.
There are always a few outliers that live beyond expectations. All one has to do to know why the reputation is deserved is scan back in the 3rd and 4th gen forums for 5R55 transmission issues. They will find post after post of people who come here with 5R55 transmissions problems only to find the transmission needs replaced. The 5R55 transmissions are not well designed. It doesn't help that Ford recommends the first service for them at 150k miles. It should be 30k for the first one and no longer than 60k thereafter. Ideally it should be every 40k-50k miles, IMO.

5r55 designed for light duty application by small french transmission company for several light vehicles.

Instead of well known ZF based heavy duty Ford 6r60 designed especially for some of Ford F-series vehicles.

I believe also that all the 5r55 recommendations copy pasted from european vehicle manufacturer recalls.

Ford also used the 5R55 as the only automatic in the 2005-2010 Mustangs. It failed in it as much as the Explorers/Mountaineers. Light duty, medium duty or heavy duty it is just a bad transmission. IMO, the single thing that sent most of them to an early death was Ford's claim that the trans fluid was "lifetime" and was good to 150k miles.

It occasionally flares on the 2-3 shift, and Reverse is getting weak, but she is still going. But I truly baby this trans, especially when towing.

2006 V6 EB 4WD. I'm at 156,000. Transmission is great. Only issue I have now is AC not working right and I think I need to repair or replace the control panel. I am in Florida (no mountains) and I baby it when towing, not going over 65mph. Going to do total fluids change soon. Mine does have the towing package but I don't have a brake controller.

tow.jpg

The only differences between v8 w/o tow package and the ones with are:

Class 3 hitch receiver: you can buy aftermarket that mounts below the class 2 or cut out the factory class 2 and bolt on class 3 from 02-05 Explorers. It's a direct replacement, I did it on our v6 and posted it with pictures here on the forum.

Transmission cooler - easily added but you may have one already. Some v8 came with it regardless.

Gear ratio: 3.55 for all v8, no change needed.

7 pin connector - you will need to run the charging wire for the trailer battery, and the blue brake wire should be tacked down at the end of the harness.

Back