• Register Today It's free!

Towing questions on a 07 v-8 ST

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
Been a proud owner of a 2001 ST since new, 210,000 dependable miles. Made the V-6 work!

I tow a 2300 lb Cobra race car and open trailer to many events all over the North East. Total weight about 3500 lbs.

I'm looking at a 2007 ST with the V-8, towing package, and have some questions for those who tow cars with thiers.

Does the ST come with a built-in brake contriller, or do I have to wire in an external? If I have to wire, are the leads there, or do I have to run everything?

How steady are they on the interstate towing at 65 MPH?

How good are the 4-wheel discs when braking down a hill? (yes, the trailer brakes will be on)

I have towed with overdrive OFF, same thing with the V-8?

I babied the transmission, serviced it regularly, and as a result never had any problems with my 01. How do the V-8 transmissions hold up?

And generally, how do you like this generation of ST's?

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

I've towed my '05 Shelby CS6 in an enclosed trailer with my STA V8, total weight 6900lbs. It was not a fan of going up mountains but other than that performed well. It's a very stable rig when the car is positioned correctly in the trailer. You should have no issues with half the weight.

The wiring plug is there for a brake controller, hopefully you get lucky & find the harness sitting in the glovebox like I did.

I've only towed with it once so can't yet comment on the longevity of the transmission.

Obviously don't expect great fuel economy, yes turn the O/D off & the brakes were fine going down the other side of those mountains.

b818bd858473684e705fd2271d7c3fc2_zps26f4b621.jpg

Back