Towing / Rear Suspension Upgrade Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing / Rear Suspension Upgrade Options?

fbroen

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Am doing a decent amount of boat towing with my 96 Explorer XLT V6 with the 3.73 axle ratio. Trailer and boat weigh approx. 4200 lbs.

Seems to me that a beefier rear suspension would be better. Asked my local dealer who said that there is nothing that Ford makes that can be done to upgrade it.

What are my options? And any rough ideas on cost would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Fredrik Broen
Annapolis, MD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone asked this question just a few hours ago:

Dead Link Removed

Yopu have several. Without comprimising ride quality when not towing air bags would be the best, but they are pricey. The cheapest solution would be to get an Add A Leaf or AAL. Best thing to do is go to a truck spring shop and tell them what you want to do and see what they offer.

Helwig Adjustable Helpers... about $100 from www.jcwhitney.com
site1073.jpg

Air Lift Is A Good Solution

We carry the load leveling system by Air Lift. This is great solution that is affordable and not difficult to install. It allows you to adjust the ride height by way of air bags when towing. This also allows your shocks to work the way there supposed to when you are towing. When you are not towing you let the air out and the ride quality is normal. Helper springs will work, but will contribute to a stiff ride when not towing.

We have the AX59514 Air Lift Kit for ....$194.95

You can opt for the additional controller kit that includes a frame mount compressor so you can controll the ride height from the cabin

Air Lift Controller AX25592...................$121.95

We have sold and installed this kit many times with good results. We have also installed it on lowered Explorers as well.

John V @ Explorer Express

Attachments

• airliftweb.jpg
    airliftweb.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,474

Anyone try these?

Anyone try these Air-lift shocks?

Any good/bad stories??

Hey man. I'm buying a pair of Gabriel air shocks for the rear of my ex.
I'll let you know how they ride.

Back