Towing/running light problem.

smspears

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie B.
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie B. I recently purchased a pop up camper to tow behind my Explorer. The running lights on the camper and my trailer did not work when I plugged them into the receptacle. Both, the camper and the trailer work on my neighbor's truck. I have checked the fuse inside the engine compartment. Any ideas why only the running lights wont work? The turn signals and the brake lights work just fine. I read in the manual, there is a light relay in the relay box in the rear of the vehicle. But I could not locate it. Does anyone have any direction?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuses under the dash. There is a 2nd set of fuses for the trailer plug. The relays you refer to are behind the rear panel. You need to remove the panel in the cargo area to access them.

4 way flat molded connectors allow basic hookup for three lighting functions; right turn signal / stop light (green), left turn signal / stop light (yellow), taillight / license / side marker (brown) and a ground (white).

Try checking the voltage between the white wire (ground) and the Brown wire (Taillight, License, Side marker) on the connector on the vehicle. if you have no volts, then that's your problem.

I have a 2002 XLT explorer & can not get the trailer lights to work, the bulbs are not blown & its all brand new wires & lights.
How can I check to make sure that connection from the rear of the truck is functioning?

Back