Towing setup questions

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Good afternoon everyone, hope all is well. I have a 97 sport 5 speed ohv and was wondering if I can get real world towing experiences. I’m looking at getting a 1500-2000ish pound pop up tent trailer and want to be able to bring it to the mountains. I find differing opinions with this specific vehicle. I have Monroe adjustable shocks in rear, all new suspension. Vehicle has been well maintained. Is this doable and safe or should I look into getting another vehicle for towing?

I can’t find exact towing capacity for this model but I think it’s around 3000?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have the m5od or the 5r55e? both are 5spd. im assuming you have the m5od. what gear ratio do you have? 1500-2k isnt that much weight, it should be fine. just watch your speed, keeep a safe following distance, keep an eye on gauges, and if you have the At, install a big cooler. should be fine imo. ive towed >4k with my 4dr, so i think it should be fine. just check brakes tires etc before

Hello I have the m5r1 with 4.1 gear ratio.

iirc then you should be able to tow >2k a least. i doubt towing the trailer should be an issue, just watch speed distance etc. ;) :D

Should tow acceptably, assuming you're not driving fast or in mountainous terrain. You mentioned mountainous terrain...my following advice may not really apply.
Heaviest thing I towed with my SOHC/5R55E was a 6x12 UHaul trailer. This was many years ago, lady at the desk was nice enough to tell me I was driving a Mercury Mountaineer with a wink after I told her I had an Explorer.
Anyway, that trailer was 2,000lbs empty, with probably another 1,200lbs of stuff in it. Was a flat drive from Pensacola, FL to Corpus Christi, TX. I remember being able to really feel that thing back there, and having to drive with OD OFF, or she would constantly jump back and forth between 4th and 5th. 1500-2000lbs should be fine, just drive reasonably.
Funny story, I was doing my first move in the Navy, and it was a 'DITY move'. You're supposed to weigh your truck and trailer empty, then full, and they pay you by the pound. You can make a decent amount of money that way. I tried cheating Uncle Sam a bit, weighed just the Explorer, then weighed it with the full trailer attached. I think the personal property people caught on when they realized I was trying to claim 3,200lbs of household goods INSIDE my Ford Explorer. Didn't see a dime, but also didn't get in trouble...took that as a lesson learned as a young dumbass!
Just saw you've got 4.10 gears out back. That should help a bit. I have 3.55s

Weight-wise, you shouldn't have any problems.

Swaying-wise and braking-wise, make sure you have the proper amount of weight on the trailer tongue (i.e., not too much and not too little).

Tire-wise, most "truck rated" per se tires will be fine... it's unlikely you'll need a tire with a stronger sidewall.

Transmission-wise, add a large transmission fluid cooler and make sure your transmission fluid is kept fresh.

Thanks everyone, bought a used 1450lb trailer. Forgot to mention my 5 speed manual has a reman. transmission that was put in under a year ago. Only “rough” terrain will be pulling off the side of road to get down to camping spot.

7C9EF954-5EB2-4902-81FE-EB30DEAF0268.jpeg 88A95275-FA14-4392-90E9-EA78C6190232.jpeg

alright!!! just watch your speed, keep a following distance (ie. dont tail), ad it should all go fine! have you still got the monoleafs out back?

I added helper springs and beefier suspension at the rear.

that should help then! in the future, maybe look into the 4dr leave if you plan on towing the popup semi refularly, as they are much better than the monoleaves

Should tow acceptably, assuming you're not driving fast or in mountainous terrain. You mentioned mountainous terrain...my following advice may not really apply.
Heaviest thing I towed with my SOHC/5R55E was a 6x12 UHaul trailer. This was many years ago, lady at the desk was nice enough to tell me I was driving a Mercury Mountaineer with a wink after I told her I had an Explorer.
Anyway, that trailer was 2,000lbs empty, with probably another 1,200lbs of stuff in it. Was a flat drive from Pensacola, FL to Corpus Christi, TX. I remember being able to really feel that thing back there, and having to drive with OD OFF, or she would constantly jump back and forth between 4th and 5th. 1500-2000lbs should be fine, just drive reasonably.
Funny story, I was doing my first move in the Navy, and it was a 'DITY move'. You're supposed to weigh your truck and trailer empty, then full, and they pay you by the pound. You can make a decent amount of money that way. I tried cheating Uncle Sam a bit, weighed just the Explorer, then weighed it with the full trailer attached. I think the personal property people caught on when they realized I was trying to claim 3,200lbs of household goods INSIDE my Ford Explorer. Didn't see a dime, but also didn't get in trouble...took that as a lesson learned as a young dumbass!
Just saw you've got 4.10 gears out back. That should help a bit. I have 3.55s
I did partial DITY moves in the Navy before I retired in 2004, always did full tank for the loaded weight and almost empty tank and no spare tire for the empty weight. Every little bit helps.

Back