Towing tagalong camperv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing tagalong camperv

HAve 2001 explorer sport trac 4.0 L auto NO towing stuff But added class 3 hitch.

How big an camper could I tow Just hooking on ?

Upgrading what, would allow me to tow how much bigger?

looking minimum comfortable for 2-4 people,

When looking at towing RV what, tongue weight. Vechile weight ? Size?
THANKS

How expensive is it now days in camping area ?
Best way to find where to stay as traveling? NEWBY

Look for the towing section in your owner's manual and read it. If you don't have the manual, it becomes difficult to determine, unless you can find out what axle ratio you have, whether there is an aux trans cooler, etc.

2002 and later was easy, as all you had to do is look at the stock integrated receiver to know if you had Class II, Class III, or Class III/IV. If you can't find out more info, you should consider yours Class II, limited to 3500 lbs loaded trailer.

Look for the towing section in your owner's manual and read it. If you don't have the manual, it becomes difficult to determine, unless you can find out what axle ratio you have, whether there is an aux trans cooler, etc.

2002 and later was easy, as all you had to do is look at the stock integrated receiver to know if you had Class II, Class III, or Class III/IV. If you can't find out more info, you should consider yours Class II, limited to 3500 lbs loaded trailer.

Sport trac didn't have a reese-style hitch until 04, I thought? Just had the crummy little bumper hitch for 01-03...?

Anyroad, the biggest limiter on this is going to be the transmission and the overall condition of the vehicle.

Step one: Replace your rear shocks and leaf springs. Unless you can prove that they have less than 30,000 miles on them, they are likely too worn to pull a trailer safely.

Step two: examine the area where the hitch ties into the rear frame rails. At least around here, I've seen a lot of trucks in junkyards with rotted out frame rails on the back 2 feet, but the hitch looks like new...

Back