• Register Today It's free!

towing trailers

the bannerman

Reaction score
City, State
Looe, Cornwall (UK)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4ltr
Can anyone help me with some information????

I have just bought a '94 XLT and I'm deliriously happy with it..you don't see many of these in the U.K. It's prob'ly my favourite American auto (well it is now).

Next week I'm going to live in Spain for a few years and I have bought a 24' trailer home and need to tow it down there.

I see on the back bumper (fender) the maximum towing weight is 3,500 lbs but my trailer weighs 4,290 lbs. Is the towing weight limit due to the tow ball being fixed on the fender, or is it for some other reason?

If it's for some other reason - does anyone want to buy my Explorer?

If you can help, an e-mail to - thebannerbloke@aol.com
would really be appreciated

thanks

Lee Dean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will definatelu need a frame mounted hitch.

Welcome to the site!! You'll find all you need to know about your truck right here!

Now about your question. The weight restriction is because the ball is mounted on the bumper. If you get a frame mounted hitch with a 2 inch sqaure receiver, you'll be able to tow your trailer safely.

Thanks for your help - I will see to my towbar on Monday and breathe a great big sigh of relief !

I won't have to sell my new toy after all

Happoy motoring to you all

Lee Dean - now a confirmed Explorer addict

No Problem!!
Enjoy your Explorer!!

to tow that much weight, the best way is a weight distributing hitch. this will help distribute the trailer weight over the entire vehilcle frame. You should make sure that you have a transmission cooler also. Automatics need to be eficiently cooled or they can fail. The 4.0L V6 should have no problem hauling that trailer at all. Just make sure she is well prepaired for it.

Andy

is it an auto? 4x4? tow package? what gears?

Back