• Register Today It's free!

Towing trans damage

druppel

Reaction score
City, State
Wildomar CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have a 93 4wd auto explorer which I towed in neutral for about 400 miles about 6 times behind my motor home. I just read you can fry the trans if you don't drop the rear drive shaft. How do I know if I have damaged the trans? It has been slipping when cold but no other problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are supposed to drop the axle because, from what ive been told, since the engine isnt running, the trans pump isnt running, and your not getting fluid to the rear seal. which will burn up that seal and cause a leak. as far as your trans slipping, maybe it got low on fluid and burnt up your clutches.

its not just the seal it also the bushing locating the rear slip yoke but also everything that the rear shaft is attached to, drums bearings clutch packs many things, but there trans guys here can tell more specifically.

If it slips when cold you are damaging the tranny by driving it and take my word for it,that there is a pricey fix.Towing an auto trans means no pump running = no lube = toast sooner or later.:D

Thanks for the great response. I'm going to check to make sure my fluid is full and see if it still slips when it is cold.

um... why not just put the transfercase in neutral? The pump in the case will still work and the trans won't be turning.
I dunno... call me crazy... but wouldn't that work?

T-case in neutral would work. However if someone reading this in future has a 2WD...

I have heard on some transmissions you can neutral tow if you stop every 50 miles or so and run the engine for a minute to circulate trans fluid.

Whether that's true for the A4LD or not, it's pretty easy to just unbolt the rear driveshaft at the axle and secure it up out of the way.

um... why not just put the transfercase in neutral? The pump in the case will still work and the trans won't be turning.
I dunno... call me crazy... but wouldn't that work?

Except if he has push button 4wd like most were and not a manual transfer case you can't put it in neutral.

Putting the transfer case in neutral would be great, but how do you do that with an auto trans and only dashboard buttons that do not include neutral. Is there a way to do this?

Also, stopping to run the engine could work, but dropping the drive shaft isn't that difficult. Running the engine while towing was suggested, but I would worry about it slipping into gear, and that would be a real mess.

Thanks for your input!

Back