Towing with 2004 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with 2004 Ford Explorer

We bought a 2004 ford explorer and were told it had a towing package meaning the LS 3.73 axle ratio... Found out that's not the case.. I know nothing aobut this but is there any way to get this installed? We really wanted to tow a lightweight camper trailer less than 4K pounds but now can't because we don't have the towing package. We plan on adding the class III/IV receive as well. Any advice would be helpful on this.

Thanks

dave

Just because you don't have the towing package doesn't mean you can't bring it to specs yourself.

First, check the useful threads subforum, find your axle code, see what ratio you do have.

You can add a III/VI class hitch and add trailer light connector yourself.

Lastly, you will need a transmission cooler more than likely. Check the front of your truck, just behind the grill to see if you have an aux cooler from the factory. If not, you should add one.

Hi Dbbruiet,

Tomorrow I pick up a new 17ft casita travel trailer. This is about 2800 lbs dry as a bone with nothing inside it. I am setting up my 03 Explorer which does not have the tow package either. By necessity, I have recently become something of an expert on setting up a late model Explorer as a tow vehical.

Mine does have the 1.25 inch reciever and a 4-pin flat trailer light connector -- like yours almost certainly does. I have learned that the Explorer from 02 on is very easy to set up for towing. It will be easy for you to install a class 3 reciever hitch. Your Explorer is prewired for a 7 pin trailer light connector. An electric brake controller plugs into an existing plug just behind your glove box. All you will be missing is the lower gear ratio rear end and a transmission cooler. The lower ratio gears may be something you can have installed -- but myself, I am not worrying about it. I can always down shift. The transmission cooler on the other hand may be well worth getting installed. About $250 is what I was quoted at a Uhaul dealer that has a good trailer tow mechanic on staff where I live. After getting the transmission cooler installed, I thnk it would be a good idea then to go to a Ford service center and have the transmission flushed and new fluid put in. About $140.00

You might want to consider a sway bar on the trailer. Another good idea is a weight distributing hitch, this connects to the trailer, not the tow vehical. It saves wear and tear on your rear suspesion and differential by reducing the load -- re-distributing it to all wheels.

All the hardware, including weight distributing hitch and sway bar-- except the transmission cooler can be had for around $500 on e-trailer.com. -- Well also excepting the special Ford pig tail that goes from a connector under your passenger tailight to a 7 pin trailer plug connector.

Any specific questions about this. Just e-mail me.

I have an '03 xlt and I removed the factory 1.25 receiver and installed a new Ford factory 2" receiver. I also bought the 7-pin connector which plugged right in to the factory harness. I use it all the time and love it. :thumbsup:

I had to remove the plastic bumper in order to do the swap out, then put it it back.

Is there a stock tranny cooler for non-towing package exes or will I need to add one?

Thanks

I have an '03 xlt and I removed the factory 1.25 receiver and installed a new Ford factory 2" receiver. I also bought the 7-pin connector which plugged right in to the factory harness. I use it all the time and love it. :thumbsup:

I had to remove the plastic bumper in order to do the swap out, then put it it back.

Is there a stock tranny cooler for non-towing package exes or will I need to add one?

Thanks

x-ing,
i am in the process of getting a 03 EB, and plan on taking off the class 2 and adding a class 3.
Did this unbolt easily or is the stock class 2 part of the frame, and welded on?

Back