towing with 31's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing with 31's

Hi all. I have a 96 v8 with 3:73's an stock tires(235 75 15). I pull a large tt around 30'. I want to put on some 31's. I wanted to know if any buddy did this, and if they lost enough power so it didn't pull as well. I pulled this through some good hills in west central ohio pretty well. Do you think the 31's would be to much wtih out changeing gearing. If so I will just wait to put some 33's on. Thanks for any response.

You should have no problem.

If you like the way it drives now, going a little bigger on tires will likely not even be noticable.

I have the worst gearing possible (3.27 LS) and went up to 32inx11.50. Now, I would not pull the same heavy stuff I used to, But I would imagine you would be alright.

Anyone else?

You are going to loose a little power, but your handleing should improve. I pulled my 16' trailer with my B2 on it with both 33x12s and now 32x11s (3.73 L/S and SOHC)and there was a noticeable amount of power gain going down to the 32s..

I pull a 3400 pound 18 foot boat with mine every weekend, with 31s, and It does just fine, kinda wondering whats its gunna be like when i get 33s..

I used to have the same set up as you want (96 V8, 3.73 LS, 31x10.50) and didn't notice a difference between that and the original 235's when towing a 4000lbs. trailer.

Back