Towing with 5-speed 4.0L '96 XLT

frankbullitt

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5-sp 4x4
Hello all,

I've got a '96 Explorer 4x4 4-door 5-speed. Its got a 3.73 traction-lok in the rear.

Owner's manual says I can tow 2600 lbs.

Auto transmission in this setup could tow 5000 lbs.

I need to pull ~ 4600 lbs of trailer and race car to Florida this spring (2000 mile round trip).

Most of the driving will be freeway. I'm thinking I'll just have to feather the clutch a lot starting out. Clutch has 40,000 miles, and I don't mind putting a bit of extra wear on it.

Any opinions?

Anyone with towing experience on a 5-speed Explorer?

Thanks!!!

-FrankBullitt
'96 Explorer XLT 4x4 5-sp
151,000 miles and counting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar situation towing 4400 lbs with a 4.0 ranger. Getting going is the tough part. Starting on a steep hill... forget about it. I got around 6000 miles till my tranny became difficult to shift.

While it's not recommended and if you don't mind the extra wear on you X then go for it.

Ended up with a auto 4R70W and a 5.0.

If you do the "brown wire mod" you can have 2lo. It will limit your speed, but sure as heck give you torque!!

question for the experts: can you shift from low to hi while the truck is moving?

No you cannot shift from low to high while moving and your speed in 4-low will be limited to about 15 mph.

I'm almost positive it has to be stopped to switch from HIGH to LOW vice versa. I don't think there is a clutch or anything when you shift gears in the transfer case.

I was thinking 2-LO would be useful in heavy traffic, and then I could just switch to 2-HI when speeds pick up.

Or, I'll just borrow someone else's truck...

Originally posted by frankbullitt
I'm almost positive it has to be stopped to switch from HIGH to LOW vice versa. I don't think there is a clutch or anything when you shift gears in the transfer case.

I was thinking 2-LO would be useful in heavy traffic, and then I could just switch to 2-HI when speeds pick up.

Or, I'll just borrow someone else's truck...
I think thats your best bet:D

I have the bn mod and it saves me many times while towing when starting out in hilly areas. I can go about 50 in 5th gear....not that I would go any distance but it does give me the ability to start off while towing a 4500# load and get far enough to stop and go back to 2H.
It makes a great creeper gear too.

Kurt

So...can someone describe how I can make my '96 XLT have a 2-Lo?

Thanks...

Back