• Register Today It's free!

towing with 99 V8 AWD

coneheads

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Worth, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Just bought a 99 Eddie Bauer. Has a strong motor and tranny, the body looks to be untouched. But the suspension is shot. I thought it might make a good tow vehicle so I'm looking for advice since I will be replacing most of it what would you change, upgrade or leave stock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get some coil assist rear shocks to help with towing. Maybe better sway bar. Make sure you have a trans cooler, TMH for some hp and torque. These rigs have an insane tow rating but I find the shorter wheel base and smaller overall vehicle makes anything over like 14’ a little obnoxious. I towed a 16’ dually teailer one time to move, it was a little too big. But I have also loaded a smaller steel trailer 12’ dumper with concrete and Explorer still towed it. My hemi can do more but the explorer usually gets better gas mileage even towing. Perfect for boats or desert toys in my opinion, maybe not the best at towing like a travel trailer.

Ditto, it drives like it's a little higher CG than you think. It can get squirrely with heavier loads, a tighter suspension and shorter sidewall tires can help.

It needs a bigger trans cooler, another one added, or a replacing the original. Replace the ATF fully, including the torque converter(1 gallon), plus the filter, and a deeper pan if you will tow much or long distances. I put over 15 quarts into my black 98 about three years ago, it also has an external filter(FL1A).

Find the long type of OEM cooler used on some early 2000's Super Duty trucks. They had at least three types on F series trucks, the long short one fits well where the old one is, without cutting anything to fit it in.

Get some coil assist rear shocks to help with towing. Maybe better sway bar. Make sure you have a trans cooler, TMH for some hp and torque. These rigs have an insane tow rating but I find the shorter wheel base and smaller overall vehicle makes anything over like 14’ a little obnoxious. I towed a 16’ dually teailer one time to move, it was a little too big. But I have also loaded a smaller steel trailer 12’ dumper with concrete and Explorer still towed it. My hemi can do more but the explorer usually gets better gas mileage even towing. Perfect for boats or desert toys in my opinion, maybe not the best at towing like a travel trailer.

Thx Tribe, that's kind of what I expected, like you said the towing capacity is impressive but that's not the whole story. Oh well I thought I had found an inexpensive way to tow a travel trailer but that doesn't sound wise. I still like it and will probably go ahead and beef it up a little but just use it to tow a small boat or cargo trailer.

Ditto, it drives like it's a little higher CG than you think. It can get squirrely with heavier loads, a tighter suspension and shorter sidewall tires can help.

It needs a bigger trans cooler, another one added, or a replacing the original. Replace the ATF fully, including the torque converter(1 gallon), plus the filter, and a deeper pan if you will tow much or long distances. I put over 15 quarts into my black 98 about three years ago, it also has an external filter(FL1A).

Find the long type of OEM cooler used on some early 2000's Super Duty trucks. They had at least three types on F series trucks, the long short one fits well where the old one is, without cutting anything to fit it in.

Thx CDW, I had my suspicions about the size and weight not being enough to control a travel trailer even though there is plenty of power. I still like it though and I bought it for scrap value so it will still be a fun toy to play with. Maybe if I get it running and looking good I can trade up for something that will tow a Travel Trailer without breaking the Bank.

I ran Airlift air bags when I was hauling ridiculous tongue weights, and liked them. The transmissions in these are rock solid. I’d add an auxiliary cooler as suggested above.

If you are driving this long distance and have over 100k I’d have the front driveshaft rebuilt, or at the very least carry what you need to pull it. It’ll drift in park, but drive without the front shaft just fine.

I haven't towed exclusively with my '00 5.0 Mounty, but I did an upgrade to the transmission which I believe has really extended its lifespan and performance. I replaced the stock pan with a very deep TCI aluminum finned pan - I believe it holds several additional quarts of fluid. At the same time, I also installed a B&M shift kit which essentially mimics the 4R70W "J mod." Those 2 modifications have really reduced the heat the stock transmission produces significantly.

That's good, I can also vouch for the deeper pan, I have it and it took close to 16 quarts of ATF(I drain everything completely and the VB was off).

But any towing should be avoided unless the cooler is made larger in capacity, install an extra one or a much larger one.

what are you planning to tow with it?
If you plan to use it to tow ALOT I would consider an AWD delete in favor of a real part time 2wd/4hi/4low t case
It will save you money in fuel and front end wear and tear (tires and wheel bearings!!)

Back