Towing with a 2006 XLT 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 2006 XLT 4.0L

I am pulling a camper that is within the weight limits for my Explorer, but the last time I brought it home from the storage site, 40 minutes into the trip, I began to smell radiator fluid and before I knew it, white smoke was billowing from under my hood. I pulled over & let it cool, then drove the last 5 minutes home without incident.
Since then, we've only taken it local (30 minutes away), to see if it would happen again. (It hasn't). I'm afraid to take it anywhere.

I tried to look online to see if putting in a larger radiator would help, but couldn't seem to find anything of that nature, other than copious complaints about radiators on the '06 Explorer.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I can't just not go camping!! :)

Kimberly
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look into upgrading either to an external Transmission fluid cooler (if not equipped) or a bigger one if currently equipped since apparently the current one is obviously not sufficient

I am gonna be running a tru48e cooler for my transmission when I get one to put back in, as well as tapping the pan to run a transmission fluid gauge.

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/oil-coolers/long-stacked-plate-oil-coolers/

How heavy is your trailer if you dont mind me asking? I pull a 3500lbs dry dual axle trail sport, and I cant go over 60mph without it dropping into 3rd gear. It revs around 2500rpm at 60mph.

Transmission Cooler & New Front Grill, maybe?

Here is a Transmission cooler I was considering: http://derale.com/products/fluid-co...0-plate-fin/190f-fan-switch-thermostat-detail

Thoughts? I haven't pulled off the grill to check available space yet. That's next.

I'm towing a Salem CruiseLite with a GCWR of 3282 lbs. I have to keep it around 55mph - 60. It lets me know if I go over that. :) Sounds like mine reacts the same as yours, Tech by Trade.

I'm also wondering if installing a Sport Trac grill instead of the stock grill would help - air flow and all?

I appreciate any insight you can provide!
:usa: Kimberly

Do you have the HD Towing Package, known by the 2" square receiver?

Towing Package

i actually had a towing package installed on my Explorer, because I didn't have the 2", no. But I do now! :)

Whenever someone says they are towing something within their weight limits, but does not specify what the limit is, nor what the trailer weighs, a red flag goes up in my mind.

Just adding a 2" receiver does not mean you suddenly have a HD towing package. I that were the case, I could tow 7000 lbs with my minivan. Not the case.

If all you did was add a 2" receiver to your Explorer, then you are limited to 3500 lbs loaded trailer. Anything you put in the Explorer, besides the driver, will subtract from that weight. 3 people totaling 500 lbs? Limit is 3000 lbs loaded trailer.

The problems you are having with coolant are very likely related to the fact that you are overworking your Explorer. Get a shorter trailer with less frontal area, or get a more capably-equipped tow vehicle.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I am intending to be blunt. You are not in a good situation, and you will ruin your Explorer.

2006 Exp Towing

Forgive me - I'm new at asking information on forums. I normally just find a human, but I'm learning that isn't always the right answer, either, or I wouldn't be here. :)

The Max Tow rating of my Explorer is 5140. The GVWR of my trailer is 3828. When I bought the trailer, the company from which I bought the trailer installed a frame-attached towing unit on my SUV, since it didn't have the larger one.

I do have a transmission cooler. I'm not sure what TechbyTrade meant by "tall gears." I'm afraid my experience in engines is limited to the late '60s versions. ;)

When we're towing, it's me (140 lbs) and my youngest son (87 lbs), and only whatever we need for that particular trip. I do think I would benefit by driving down to Quik Trip and weighing the trailer on the scales to see what I actually have in it.

When I bought the camper, I specifically considered and researched the capacity for my SUV and bought the smallest yet serviceable camper that I could. That's why I'm a wee bit frustrated it isn't quite working out.

I appreciate your experience and insight... do you think with these numbers my truck still shouldn't be able to pull this camper?

Forgive me - I'm new at asking information on forums. I normally just find a human, but I'm learning that isn't always the right answer, either, or I wouldn't be here. :)

The Max Tow rating of my Explorer is 5140. The GVWR of my trailer is 3828. When I bought the trailer, the company from which I bought the trailer installed a frame-attached towing unit on my SUV, since it didn't have the larger one.

I do have a transmission cooler. I'm not sure what TechbyTrade meant by "tall gears." I'm afraid my experience in engines is limited to the late '60s versions. ;)

When we're towing, it's me (140 lbs) and my youngest son (87 lbs), and only whatever we need for that particular trip. I do think I would benefit by driving down to Quik Trip and weighing the trailer on the scales to see what I actually have in it.

When I bought the camper, I specifically considered and researched the capacity for my SUV and bought the smallest yet serviceable camper that I could. That's why I'm a wee bit frustrated it isn't quite working out.

I appreciate your experience and insight... do you think with these numbers my truck still shouldn't be able to pull this camper?

Actually, the towing package comes from factory.
You added a class 3 hitch, factory class 2? That means your towing capacity out of an 06 is 3210 lbs. Yours has 3.55 gears (tall) vs the 3.73 that come with the factory towing package. The factory towing package max towing weight is 5210 lbs. The little six banger just don't have enough grunt, especially with that gearing.

http://www.fleet.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2006RVguideApr08.pdf

Ack

Alas. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Dang - I was hoping I could just modify my Explorer to allow it to pull (I swear I purposefully strived to buy something it COULD pull, and I had people who should have known helping me, so... Bother!!)

Looks like I'm going to either have to put camping on hold or go try to find something that will pull it. That makes my heart sad!!

Not sure I'll be buying a Ford again, after what I'm had to deal with in this one. :p
Then again... I know none of them are perfect!!

Hello, I just purchased 2015 explorer with tow package. I bought a tekonsha brake controller and the wiring harness that lets me just plug in. However, it appears the fuse blew and I'm not sure why. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Alas. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Dang - I was hoping I could just modify my Explorer to allow it to pull (I swear I purposefully strived to buy something it COULD pull, and I had people who should have known helping me, so... Bother!!)

Looks like I'm going to either have to put camping on hold or go try to find something that will pull it. That makes my heart sad!!

Not sure I'll be buying a Ford again, after what I'm had to deal with in this one. :p
Then again... I know none of them are perfect!!

Kimberly

A gear change in the rear axle, or both if 4wd should help your exploder tow better and be more responsive, a gear ratio change is part of the towing package from Ford (most likely). If 2wd a rear axle swap from a junkyard explorer most likely would be cheaper than a gear swap in your current axle if you know someone mechanically inclined.

Hello, I just purchased 2015 explorer with tow package. I bought a tekonsha brake controller and the wiring harness that lets me just plug in. However, it appears the fuse blew and I'm not sure why. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Please start a new thread/topic with your new subject.

kim,
Yes, you would need to complete the upgrade by changing the gearing in your rear axle to the 3.73 ratio that would have come with the factory tow package. If your Explorer is 4WD, then the front axle would also need to be done.

This is something you could have done, but only you can decide if it's worth it. This would certainly improve the situation, but I have heard from others with similar combinations that still didn't like it. Frontal area of a full height trailer requires lots of engine torque, and the V6 just doesn't have it.

Back