Towing with a 2015 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 2015 Explorer

Good point about the AWD. I've read too much about the FWD issues, and the limits of the Explorer. Pretty sure I narrowed it down and am trading it in for a RWD 2014 Durango with the tow package. There's a similar AWD model on the lot w/o the tow package and I'll look at that too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all!
We are leasing a 2015 XLT with the 3.5L and factory tow package. We just purchased a 2008 Cirrus 21CRB travel trailer with a empty weight of 3,900lbs. We had a 90 mile trip back home and got a whooping 9mpg on the way. No water in the tanks, no cargo in the Ex, just us two and fuel. We have the weight distro hitch and brake controller. My question is, is it normal to be running close to 4,000RPM doing 65mph? I had it in tow mode, it would downshift and run about 2,500RPM off and on, and we didn't really have any big hills on the interstate. The majority of the time though it was running 3,900RPM. Didn't seem to bother it, but I was a little uneasy about that.

Travel trailers and enclosed trailers create a large constant wind resistance load on the tow vehicle. A 20mph headwind versus a tailwind can make a huge difference in fuel economy and heat generated in the drivetrain. A 3.5L V6 running 4500rpm to maintain speed doesn't seem unusual depending on conditions. My F150 with the last year of the 5.4L 3V V8 runs around 2500rpm on the interstate when towing my X17Z travel trailer, but I can go from 10mpg to 14mpg by slowing down from 70mph to 63mph.

If you read the manual, I'm sure the service schedule will call for more frequent maintenance and fluid changes under a severe schedule. I'd follow that and not worry too much. My wife's 2013 Explorer Limited AWD does not have the factory tow options. I've thought about adding an aftermarket setup for towing trailers under 2000lbs without brakes. More than likely it would just be towing a small 300lb trailer with a 500lb motorycle or buggy.

I'm usually very conservative when it comes to towing. Things can go wrong really fast on the higway.

Are you sure you weren't in manual shift mode and accidentally locked out one or two of the higher gears? I would not expect to be running at 3900rpm the majority of the time at normal cruising speed while towing, especially on the "flat-ish" terrain that you described. Are you sure about the weight of your TT? I did a quickie search and the dry weight was listed as 3600 lbs. Dry weight usually means before any options or accessories are installed, i.e. appliances, awnings, etc. You might want to get an accurate weight. I'm guessing that if you are at 3900rpm now that it will get worse once you reach your "ready to camp" weight.

I know I wasn't in manual shift mode. In the city it did just fine. If anyone is familiar with the area I left Neenah, WI and took highway 10 west to Stevens Point and then HWY 51/I39 to Wausau. I did have the A/C on if that matters. It would downshift to around 2,300 and stay there for a few minutes before upshifting again and staying up there for 5-10 minutes. The dealer told me that the trailer was 4,100lbs as it sat.

I do understand drag and headwinds, tailwinds, ect... I just was worried about running such high RPM's and wondering if anyone else encountered that. Fuel mileage, well yeah, what would one expect towing something taller such as this.
I'm already planning on not filling up water tanks until I'm in the city or closest area to where I'm camping.

This is the trailer that I bought.
http://www.destinationsrv.com/preowned/12034/2008-CIRRUS-21CRB

AWD/4WD is always best for boat ramps. You just never know how slippery and slimy a ramp might be. When I was pulling my 14' bass boat with my FWD minivan, I always made sure to have a bag of bird feed in my trunk to scatter on the ramp. I appreciated the extra traction it gave me and the birds appreciated a free meal.

Bird Feed, what a great idea! I always used kitty litter (clay) because i already kept it on hand for accidental oil/fluid spills, but it will turn muddy on a boat ramp after a while and that's hard to clean up. Bird feed is eco friendly and the birds take care of the cleanup - genius.

I could not agree more on the tiny size of the gas tank. When the lease of 13 Sport expires this fall it will be replaced with a Durango with the 25 gallon tank.

If there is something any self respecting American should learn, is never spend your hard earned money on a Dodge (Chrysler/Fiat).

Back