Towing with a 2DR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 2DR

Alright guys, I was asked if my 2001 Explorer sport 4x4 could tow a 2000 Honda accord (~3200lb) 6hrs/ 430 miles threw Missouri to Kansas on a car dolly(~750lbs). I know the vehicles max stopping capacity is 4800~5000lb (Trailer weight). Take into account my truck has 269k miles on the clock, but it has a new transmission 5000 miles ago and a fresh timing job under 2000 miles ago. No real mechanical issues, the only thing bad is the body bushings. I have a class IV 2inch hitch that's rated 5000lbs no WD and 6000 WD. Is it a good idea to tow this with my explorer? I've never towed with my explorer before or ever used a dolly, I do have plenty of experience towing 10-11k with an f350 and 16ft trailer. How do dollies handle compared to a normal trailer?

Thanks,
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure wouldn’t want to. I’d never want to tow anything’s max rating for more than a very short distance.

I sure wouldn’t want to. I’d never want to tow anything’s max rating for more than a very short distance.
Yep that's my main concern, 4000lbs is a hefty tow for an explorer.

Thats about what I've towed with my V8 4-door (4000lbs) and it works hard at it. But the Dolly will tow differently than my RV so....

That's the type of trip you take at night when nobody else is on the road. Going isn't the issue, motor has plenty of power for that, if you had to panic stop, you would be a potential danger to other motorists. Also if it is a Uhaul dolly, you would either need to reserve it with a bigger vehicle or lie about what's going on the dolly.

That's the type of trip you take at night when nobody else is on the road. Going isn't the issue, motor has plenty of power for that, if you had to panic stop, you would be a potential danger to other motorists. Also if it is a Uhaul dolly, you would either need to reserve it with a bigger vehicle or lie about what's going on the dolly.
Since uhaul hates Explorers it's a dolly from a local rental yard. Yeah stopping is going to be a pain, I'd definitely increase my follow distance, use the transmission brake, and start slowing down much earlier than needed.

Since uhaul hates Explorers it's a dolly from a local rental yard. Yeah stopping is going to be a pain, I'd definitely increase my follow distance, use the transmission brake, and start slowing down much earlier than needed.
I towed an 89 Merkur scorpio with an 87 ranger 2.9L extended cab from seattle to phoenix. I made it without crashing but anytime I had to stop in a hurry, I was sucking holes in the seat.

I've often wondered why they don't put surge brakes on those dolly's. wouldn't be hard to do and it'd sure help a lot of folks rest easier.

Alright a bit of an update, due to distance issues we are not able to get a dolly. Instead we are going to flat tow the Accord home, with a harbor freight tow bar. Since my brother already had an accord of similar year I decided to it's bumper reinforcement off, and prepare it for a tow bar. I closed all the stitch welds, and reinforced where the bar brackets mount. That mixed with 10.9 metric bolts means it's ready to be flat towed. We are heading out to Missouri tomorrow to hook up the Accord and tow it home. I'm interested to see how the Explorer takes the 860 mile trip, and how it does towing 3000lbs and 4 extra wheels worth of rolling resistance.

The flat towing went off with out a problem, we were able to do 65-69mph the entire way back to Kansas. The Explorer handled it in stride, I left overdrive off and set cruise control. It ran a steady 3000-3100rpm all the way back and got about 14mpg too. The transmission stayed at 120-130 degrees, even up Steep grades. My only issue was rear end sway, when trucks would pass I found the rear end wanting to sway. I didn't have any issues stopping, and honestly only hit the breaks hard twice other than that the trans break was sufficient in slowing the Vehicles down. Overall Im very proud of my Explorer, it's nice seeing all the time and parts I put into pay off.

Alright guys, I was asked if my 2001 Explorer sport 4x4 could tow a 2000 Honda accord (~3200lb) 6hrs/ 430 miles threw Missouri to Kansas on a car dolly(~750lbs). I know the vehicles max stopping capacity is 4800~5000lb (Trailer weight). Take into account my truck has 269k miles on the clock, but it has a new transmission 5000 miles ago and a fresh timing job under 2000 miles ago. No real mechanical issues, the only thing bad is the body bushings. I have a class IV 2inch hitch that's rated 5000lbs no WD and 6000 WD. Is it a good idea to tow this with my explorer? I've never towed with my explorer before or ever used a dolly, I do have plenty of experience towing 10-11k with an f350 and 16ft trailer. How do dollies handle compared to a normal trailer?

Thanks,
John
Good goin' John, 269k on an 01 . I've got an 06 - 4 door with over 250k and it's starting to let me down ie, bad hubs (repl),leaky valve cover gasket (haven't repl) plus other wear and tear parts. Now I'm getting that intermittent rumble strip effect, probably the drive shaft ( I hope). It's not a lemon, I've had it since 09.
Getting to my point,since you are an experienced tower. My Explorer came with a class 1 hitch. I do pull a 16'boat but would like to tow a dual axle trailer (16 to 18 feet). My Explorer has a 4.0 v6 and I have never had trouble with it overheating , what do you think ?
Would that be too much stress on the engine ? I don't think the wheelbase is to short and can't figure out why they put a class 1 hitch on it. Sorry I can't help you with your question but I'm anxious to hear all replies.
Keep on Trukin'. Gene619

If the trailer is dual axle, then I can assume it is much heavier than your boat. (Boats are a pretty easy pull usually). If you're truck is already "letting you down" I wouldn't give it any extra reason to further disappoint you. It would probably be too much stress on everything, you're transmission in particular. If I remember right all 06's came with a Class I hitch, its safe to assume it doesn't have an auxiliary trans cooler or other precautions against the extra strain. Before I'd do any towing with the high mileage 06 I'd do some serious repairs and maintenance, and install a trans cooler for starters. And definitely a Class III hitch.

Back