• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 95 Explorer XLT 4.0

toast9897

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 4x4 XLT
Hello all. first post. i have a question. i'm moving to san diego from kansas soon, and i was curious about the towing capabilities of the explorer. i'm not really familiar with my truck, not only because it's relatively new (to me), but because i'm not really a truck guy. so please pardon any dumb questions.

my truck does not have a towing package. i see a little plug in the bumper where a tow ball could possibly be installed. my question is, would simply using the bumper to tow a uhaul approximately 2000 miles be safe, or would it rip my bumper off?

if not, what would i need to take into consideration to install a more sturdy tow assembly? is this something i could do myself, or something i should take to a shop to have done?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... i'd really like some help. i'm sure the knowledge is here somewhere.

Your explorer has the power to tow but remember when towing turn your overdrive off.
As for towing with the bumper it depends on how heavy the trailer is, the bumper is suppose to be able to tow up to 3500 pounds but some states its illegal to tow with a bumper you are better off calling around and getting a tow hitch, if you have some wrenches and ratchets and someone to help hold the hitch up you can install it at home. As for the lighting if you don't have a pig tail plug in the bumper then if you have a trailer retailer they more than likely sell hitches and wiring kits, I think the brand I had bought was "Draw Tite" its made for explorers that don't have towing packages what it does is plugs into the rear tail light sockets and you hook up a ground wire in the rear and run a power wire up to the battery along with an inline fuse that is provided in the package and then when you tow you have your turn signals, brake lights, and normal night time lights, that install takes approx a half hour to an hour. I'll see if I can find that kit online so you know incase you can't get it locally.

Here is a link to that kit I was telling you about. It works great for me.
http://hitchestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HTG&Product_Code=18345

so it's essentially just a bolt-on procedure? i haven't looked under the rear end yet, but excluding any wiring, it'll just mount straight up, no welding or anything too complicated?

id check some junk yards and just yank one off an explorer in one if you dont feel like buying a new one and yes its just a bolt on no welding

so it's essentially just a bolt-on procedure? i haven't looked under the rear end yet, but excluding any wiring, it'll just mount straight up, no welding or anything too complicated?

Yes its easy stuff, most hitches I've seen for the explorer use factory holes so there is no drilling needed you just have to bolt it in. like someone else mentioned you may want to check a junkyard for one more than likely you'll be able to get it for around $50.00 or something a new one start around $130 I think.

You may not even need to do any REAL wiring....

Every Explorer I've ever seen has a round plug behind the bumper to Plug in a trailer wiring harness into. There will be a 'cap' on the plug, to keep dirt and debris out of there.

Ryan

Good advice, all... :)

I thought the plug was on all Gen II's, and the tow package on XLT's? Look under your bumper for this thing, it's what Spdrcer34 is talking about. (I have my wiring harness plugged into it already...)

Jun11_0001.jpg

That is looking up at the back of the spare

This is the wiring harness itself that plugs into it, and is plugged in, in the picture above...

Mar11_0001.jpg

They can be had for about $10-15, or I have a spare in the garage... Also- here is another thread with a Hoppy part number and info for you...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187674

I got my hitch from a local recycle yard, I think I paid $35 or so, and needed 4 bolts. Went up in 10 minutes. Easy job.

well, i just got under the back of the truck to look, and i don't have a plug back there. all i have is a wire coming down from the driver's side taillight connecting to both of the tag lights, no other plugs.

Really?

Follow the wire to the VERY END. The Trailer plug is the VERY LAST thing on the entire body wiring harness.

It should be 'pinned' in place between the bumper and the final frame cross member. Just a few inches towards the passenger side, from center.

Ryan

Everything these guys have said is good advice. I see that you mentioned towing a Uhaul trailer in your first post. I just wanted to add that Uhaul will not rent you a trailer if you show up with the Explorer. Since the incidents with Firestone a while back Uhaul has completely stopped renting trailers to drivers planning to tow them behind an Explorer. Stupid policy, I know. But you will need to either need to rent the trailer from a different company or borrow a friends truck, tow the trailer off the lot and then hook it up to your Explorer. Just want to save you a wasted trip to Uhaul.

so i went to uhaul today to see if that was still in effect, and it is. i asked them "what if i told you i was driving a 95 mercury mountaineer?" they said it was fine...

i might just tell them i have a mountaineer that i badged as a ford.

oh mine the plug for the trailer harness was way up below the drivers side tailight, it has a little cap you pop out and just hook the harness into it, if its not corroded.

otherwise there is a T-coupler harness where you take the tail-light harness apart and just hook it up inline with the tail-lights.

I was able to buy a good Solid Curt direct-fit hitch for just over 100 dollars, bolted right up no drilling.

I suggest getting a Tube-style hitch, looks much better then a square-style.

I would check online as well, i believe JC Whitney has Hidden-Hitches for close to the same price.

and Just tell them you have a Bronco, they probably won't pay much attention, just hook up the trailer and get the hell out of there :D

I was able to use a hitch from a '91 sport 4X4 5spd without a problem. Took a pig tail from a '96 Ranger, got running lights, no brakes or turns. I'm nifty with electricty, but couldn't figure this issue out. All that aside, works pretty well.

Matt

Back