Towing with a 96 explorer

Tatrman

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey there,

I've been playing with the idea lately of getting a camper trailer for the 96 Explorer Sport V6. Wondering if anyone has any experience towing a camper with this model.

The towing capacity is listed as 3,500 lbs I have yet to add a hitch. The trailer I've been looking at is the Taxa Mantis and has a dry weight of 3,020lbs and a GVWR of 4,000lbs. Does anyone think this trailer is worth looking at or should I be looking at something smaller?

Best,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also need to look at what the Tongue weight is. I would really put on a hitch if towing anything other than just a trailer in my opinion.

Check your radiator, if you have a two row, you have the HD towing package from the factory and should have the wiring for trailer lights tucked behind the rear bumper too. Pulling anything up to the max weight is going to create alot of extra heat from the engine, and it has to go somewhere, an external transmission oil cooler will also help.

How long is that camper? I think with some preparation your sport can handle the weight but its going to need some parts first.
The sport (2 door) is short, so the length of what your towing can be a handful as well as the weight.
It can be towed safely with your sport yes BUT the sport has a few things that should be upgraded first:
1. transmission cooler
You should add a aux trans cooler, 2 core radiator (if yours is a single row)
2. Rear leaf springs
Many sports came with a mono leaf (a single rear leaf spring) these should be changed out if you plan to hook anything to the rear of a sport.
3. Brakes and shocks
Pulling the weight is easy, seriously a sport can pull 4500# no problem, its handling the length and weight on the road at speed and of course being able to safely stop it that makes a good tow rig.
Good performance brakes, rotors pads, shoes, and a good set of shocks will help a great deal when towing larger trailers.

I towed a 20' Bayliner boat all over the midwest (Colorado to CA) with a 1988 Bronco II on 33" tires.... it is quite possible to tow that size camper with your sport, as long as the sport is prepared properly.

Shorter sport, lesser 4.0L OHV engine, lesser rear suspension... I would be looking at something lighter and smaller (19ft?) than that.

Then again, I don't know what new and used travel trailers sell for, but I wouldn't be making the decision based on a '96 Sport which has a book value around $800? I would sell it and (depending on what you're looking for) get a 2004 Expedition, which books for roughly $2K, or Excursion, or a full sized pickup.

Unless you're talking about a pop-up trailer, you're going to need something other than a 24 year old Explorer Sport.

1) Short wheel base vehicles are not good for towing.
2) The 4.0L OHV engine doesn't produce much power.
3) If you have the automatic trans (4-speed in 96) you'll probably fry it.

Sorry, no real experience with campers. FWIW, I have a 95 Sport 4.0L V6 with manual transmission and tow a utility trailer regularly. Usually with much lighter loads. As mentioned I'd look towards transmission cooling. I once towed a yard of concrete in a heavy steel tub/trailer and almost wore my clutch out when trying to position in place. I also have a 2008 Explorer with a V8 and automatic tranny. Much more stout. The 95 does have a beefy frame and I do find it a bit easier to maneuver however.

The short wheelbase is going to make the Sport feel less stable at speed for sure, and you'll definitely need a proper hitch. At that weight I wouldn't even consider it without trailer brakes (this wasn't explicitly stated, not sure what your plan was here).

Back