• Register Today It's free!

Towing with PIU?

Kpar

Reaction score
City, State
Homewood IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Police
I have a 2020 Explorer Police Interceptor w/towing package. I have no power to the factory plugs in the rear. It turns out the fuse box under the hood has no contact lugs in the fuse box for the trailer towing light control module- some sort of deletion option. Do I start cutting wires and splicing into the light harness, or can I replace the fuse box? How difficult is that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if replacing the fused box would help. I don't think it comes with a wiring harness. Are the empty slots actually wired?

Peter

Have you tried connecting a trailer to it? On my ST a test light didn't show power but when I plugged a trailer in all the lights worked.

i think id just buy a curt piggyback harness or something.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if replacing the fused box would help. I don't think it comes with a wiring harness. Are the empty slots actually wired?

Peter
Thanks for the response, Peter. No, there are NO lugs inside the slot for the fuse. Looking up fuse boxes online, there is a trailer towing delete fuse box, but there is no indication that the replacement fuse box (the under hood one) comes with a harness. Go figure.

I have a 2020 Explorer Police Interceptor w/towing package. I have no power to the factory plugs in the rear. It turns out the fuse box under the hood has no contact lugs in the fuse box for the trailer towing light control module- some sort of deletion option. Do I start cutting wires and splicing into the light harness, or can I replace the fuse box? How difficult is that?

So, a couple things:

1. PIU actually doesn't offer Option 52T Trailer Tow package, only civilian models do. We do get the hitch and the plugs but basically nothing else.

2. The plugs don't get "hot" until a trailer actually gets connected, hence the "cold" plugs now. There is no towing light control module on PIUs, that function is performed by the BCM some other way.

I did plug in my trailer and checked the lights- nothing. That's why I checked the plugs for power. Then the fuse box.

I did plug in my trailer and checked the lights- nothing. That's why I checked the plugs for power. Then the fuse box.

That's odd. Does the fuse box show evidence of being tempered with? For that matter, are the wires in the back intact? Actually, is the harness even back there? Some units were shipped with the harness included separately in a plastic bag either in the glove box or the little cubby in the back. Mine came with the police feeder harness packed separately, but some come with both of them not attached.

There is no evidence of the fuse box being tampered with. While looking up different options, I discovered that there is a "towing package deletion fuse box" without the contact lugs in that slot (slot 91). A replacement fuse box costs about $235, but there is no indication if it comes with a wiring harness. Very little information is available.

The trailer wiring kit was option 52T. They all came with a hitch according to the order guide. With all the questions you are asking about your vehicle it may be worth visiting a Ford dealer that would print off the window sticker for you or you can always purchase a window sticker on line.

It costs $8 to get your window sticker from this site: Print Automotive Window Stickers | MonroneyLabels.com

Class III Trailer Tow Lighting Package (4-pin and 7-pin connectors and wiring) 52T Optional

Back