• Register Today It's free!

Towing with the 4.0 Sohc

RustinH1

Reaction score
City, State
Carthage, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
OK, I have an oppurtunity to buy one of two different exploders. The 1st is a 98 XLT 4D 4WD with the 4.0, and the second is a 2001 EB V8. Now, the question is; will the 4.0 be alright to tow my 99 wrangler to the west coast from Missouri, or should I shell out the s*&tton of extra cash for the EB. I am eventually going to get rid of the wrangler (springtime $$$ :) ) and mod the explorer with a 4" Superlift, TT/Shackles, 3" BL, dual arb's, 4.56s, and 35s. So, any input would be wonderful. Thanks in advance
-rusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would watch for the common SOHC problems. See if it has had TSB 00M12 and 01M01 performed on it. If not, they are essential to the timing system of the engine, and MUST be performed, so you may want to factor that into your cost...

Search the site and you will find all the info you need.

As far as towing, the SOHC will do, the V8 will do better. What gears does each have (look at the driver's doorjamb and write down the code under axle).

The V8 will not have Lowrange gearing, is that a problem to you?

Just some thoughts
-----Nate

the tcase doesn't have low? wow, that made the decision a heck of a lot easier!!! I love the EB cause it is really nice, and quite frankly I have become slightly spoiled in that respect. But, if you think the 4.0 can tow alright, then I will probably buy it. It has 102k on it, but I am not worried cause I will probably just drive it until it dies!!! Yeah right that is what I have said for the last 5 vehicles in the past 15 months! I just can't ever make a final decision. So, maybe not dumping a crapload of cash in the EB is a good idea. thanks for all of your help.

I'm almost sure the V8s are AWD, and therefore do not have Low. The SOHC can tow, but I would prepare it.

Make SURE you have those recalls performed, and you will probably want to look into Brian Herron programming you a custom towing chip from www.apten-us.com He does a fantastic job.

Anyways, gears are important too, so try to find that out...

Good Luck
-----Nate

I will definitely check on those tomorrow again thanks for all the help

go with the EB v8 much more power!! and the AWD act's like 4x4 high..umm but all the time

I would go with the V8. The 4.0 has so many probs. Especially the transmission, and towing will just kill it faster.

and you can swap a 4x4 t-case in the v8..BTW the v8 has a much stronger tranny!!

Stick with the SOHC. Better gas mileage. You also get the 4low option with out having to worry about swapping anything. There is nothing wrong with the SOHC engine, every engine has had recalls and that one should have had them done, just ask about it. I have over 80,000 miles on mine and have only had to fix the T-stat so far. The SOHC is plenty strong to pull that Wrangler too. I pull a 14' tandem axle trailer with my BII on it and I am running 32" tires and 3.73 gears on my Explorer... I have no problems. How are you planning on towing the Wrangler (trailer, tow-bar, dolley)?

Go with the SOHC all the way! Gas is too expensive for the EB. Check to see what gears it has... my 98 SOHC came stock w/4.10's, im running 32" tires. I tow a 21' boat around and dont even realize its back there!! I have 130K miles on mine and no problems. Tranny's holdin up like a beaut and engines running like new- just make sure you do the proper maintnance and you'll be fine

and my $0.02 : i dont like it when someones car brakes down because they dont maintain it, then they tell everyone its a POS and people believe it... these things are made to last with the propper care

V8 EB...no replacement for displacement..

Originally posted by nweibley
... See if it has had TSB 00M12 and 01M01 performed on it...

-----Nate

Just so I'm sure (because my X needs this) these are actually the same thing / issue aren't they?

Is 00M12 the actual recall (actually not a recall, but a campaign - the dealer cares about the terminology, I don't) with part numbers and replacement details?

The other number (01M01) is the special warranty coverage extension for the 00M12. Does this sound right?

The TSB says it should take about 1.5 hrs and the local dealer wants about $50 for the kit for 00M12. My dealer (different from the one with the $50 kit price) wants $780 to do the job. NFW, I'll do it myself - even if it takes all day.

Both X's are actually very close in spec's The v8 will give you a little more HP and torque, but thr v6 will give you better gas milage and torque and HP only drop a little.

Originally posted by a1991owner
Both X's are actually very close in spec's The v8 will give you a little more HP and torque, but thr v6 will give you better gas milage and torque and HP only drop a little.

Correct...Dosent the V8 only have 15 more hp and 10 or so more Ft/lb of tq?

Originally posted by 93lx12s
Correct...Dosent the V8 only have 15 more hp and 10 or so more Ft/lb of tq?

V8 has like 290 torque and V6 SOHC has 245 torque...so yeah its like 45 lbs more torque...

V-8 has a smoother torque curve. While the peaks are not much different, the V-8 is a better towing motor than the V-6, but I see no problem with letting the SOHC have a little bit of towing fun. I have 110K miles on this one, and she still purrs like a kitten, but growls like a tiger. When you hear an SOHC scream at 6K, you will know what I mean. I fell in love with that motor when I first heard it. SOHC can pull 4,000 lbs. I believe, but that may be because of the rear suspension, not the motor not having enough power. Make sure you have rear disc brakes.

Slap on a transmission cooler, and don't worry about the V-6 tranny haters. They are mostly Pre-5R guys who off-road everyday and never buy a cooler. ;) It's a good transmission, and the 5 speeds helps in towing.

If you get the SOHC you may want to invest in a nice aftermarket tranny cooler. It should have one stock, but extra protection when towing can never hurt.

ya the v8 has 215hp and 288tq
the sohc has 210hp and 255 tq

i would go with the v8 just due to the fact that it makes it's power at lower rpm's however the sohc has a 5spd tranny where as the 5.0 has a 4spd

thanks so much for all of your input. i believe that i will be buying to sohc thanks to the replies posted. it is a much more sound investment. i would love to buy the v8, but gas mileage will be of serious concern as I drive a ton of miles. tranny cooler wont be a problem. i had an accord v6 and the trans went at 30k, but after the rebuild(2500 from honda) and a hayden 403 it worked flawlessly and still does to this day. again, i wanted to thank all of you for your input, and hopefully i may someday be able to return the favor.
-rusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back