• Register Today It's free!

Towing without Tow Package

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA
We didn't get the tow package and I don't really anticipate towing anything with the Explorer (I have a truck and an 18' 10,000# lowboy for that). However, I thought about buying the receiver hitch and installing it in the event that we ever towed a light load such as a mini-trailer (less than 3,000#) for softball, or camping, etc. Am I taking a huge risk in doing this without having the factory installed transmission and oil coolers? Would I be better off buying those parts and plumbing them in (sounds like a lot of work?)

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aint hindsight great?

I'm not an automotive engineer, so take this as free advice. If it were me, and I wasn't towing anything heavy or for long distances on difficult terrain or high temperatures, I wouldn't worry at all about towing without the tow package. But that is just me.

I'm not an automotive engineer, so take this as free advice. If it were me, and I wasn't towing anything heavy or for long distances on difficult terrain or high temperatures, I wouldn't worry at all about towing without the tow package. But that is just me.

I've done quite a bit of towing, that's why the thought of it didn't bother me. I just need to get the receiver hitch and harness and I should be ok. I haven't really looked underneath/at the rear end to see what all is there.

Without the tow package, you can tow up to 2,000lbs.

Without the tow package, you can tow up to 2,000lbs.

That's really not bad. Figure in a small lawnmower sized trailer and contents. No way that's more than 2,000#

Consider picking up a junk yard class III receiver
Bolts in place of the 1" hithc thats there.
Plus the wiring is easy too, disconnects near the passenger rear tail light, and should be plug and play.

That way it fits nicely, and looks factory.
And a trans cooler wont hurt either.

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited without the towing package. I am planning on getting a boat & trailer with a gross weight of around 3,000lbs. I know that just putting a Class III hitch on my Explorer will not give me the 5k towing ability, it is still limited to the 2k. The questions is that because the amount of towing of the boat I would be doing is so minimal, put in water at beginning of summer, out at end of summer, is going over the 2k mark going to hurt it?

Thanks,

Diablo23

For the TL;DR (too long didn't read) crowd. Basically you can't legally tow more than 2000 lbs due to your vehicle not being certified by Ford for 5000 lbs. Some people who aren't bothered by the legality have added an oil cooler to their engine and installed the factory tow/haul button on their car to essentially bring their car up to par with the factory tow package. Keep in mind that their MAY be some differences with the transmission as well but I doubt 2 hauls a year at 3000 lbs are going to damage your transmission. In the end, the decision is yours. Just know you're taking a small but still relevant legal and safety risk if you do proceed.

For the TL;DR (too long didn't read) crowd. Basically you can't legally tow more than 2000 lbs due to your vehicle not being certified by Ford for 5000 lbs. Some people who aren't bothered by the legality have added an oil cooler to their engine and installed the factory tow/haul button on their car to essentially bring their car up to par with the factory tow package. Keep in mind that their MAY be some differences with the transmission as well but I doubt 2 hauls a year at 3000 lbs are going to damage your transmission. In the end, the decision is yours. Just know you're taking a small but still relevant legal and safety risk if you do proceed.

Legally?

Take the time and read the thread. Lots of good information hashed out there.

Just know you're taking a small but still relevant legal and safety risk if you do proceed.

Um...no. Voiding your warranty and breaking the law are two different things. Treat them as such.

Aftermarket hitches from Curt and Draw-Tite are rated at 500 lbs tongue, and 5000 lbs tow with a weight distribution hitch system. Hidden Hitch is 450 lbs and 4500 lbs respectively.

Legally?

Take the time and read the thread. Lots of good information hashed out there.

Yes, legally. Just like you legally need trailer brakes to tow in some states. You legally can't tow more than your vehicle rated capacity.

Um...no. Voiding your warranty and breaking the law are two different things. Treat them as such.

Aftermarket hitches from Curt and Draw-Tite are rated at 500 lbs tongue, and 5000 lbs tow with a weight distribution hitch system. Hidden Hitch is 450 lbs and 4500 lbs respectively.

I'd like to think I'm a rather intelligent man. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt of not knowing me and reiterate that it's ILLEGAL to tow more than your vehicle rated capacity. You don't think someone trying to tow a boat with a Prius wouldn't get pulled over and ticketed? The non-tow package vehicles are rated at 2000 lbs no matter what hitch you install on it. If he follows my post, he will most likely be ABLE to tow more but if he were to wreck his car and they found out it was due to him hauling he would be held liable criminally and civilly.

Thanks all for the reply's! I do understand there could be legal issues depending on state/county, but I was more concerned with damaging my vehicle. It seems like "back in the day" you just added a hitch and did whatever, but times have changed and I am concerned with safety also. I'll have to think this one over a bit. Again, thanks for the reply's!

Diablo23

I'd like to think I'm a rather intelligent man. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt of not knowing me and reiterate that it's ILLEGAL to tow more than your vehicle rated capacity. You don't think someone trying to tow a boat with a Prius wouldn't get pulled over and ticketed? The non-tow package vehicles are rated at 2000 lbs no matter what hitch you install on it. If he follows my post, he will most likely be ABLE to tow more but if he were to wreck his car and they found out it was due to him hauling he would be held liable criminally and civilly.

X2!!!

----------

There is a big difference between legality and what the vehicle can do. I know there are two threads going on this now but I'll repeat what I posted earlier and exactly what Jarettp stated..

Your vehicle no matter what you do to it can only tow what the manufacturer certifies it as when leaving the factory. You can modify suspension, tires, hitch, cooling systems, throw a turbo on etc etc etc.. No matter what you do, if you tow over 2,000lbs on a non tow package explorer, you can be held liable if you cause an accident because of that (and the kicker - if the investigation even bothers to look at that).

I'm not preaching right from wrong or whether one should or shouldn't do it, just stating the facts!

Now that that is out of the way, chances of it happening are very slim BUT there is always a chance. We are just throwing it out there so owners are advised on their options. What they choose to do after that is on them.

The questions is that because the amount of towing of the boat I would be doing is so minimal, put in water at beginning of summer, out at end of summer, is going over the 2k mark going to hurt it?

Thanks,

Diablo23

Yes but you may not find out what the damage is for years when the additional wear and tear start to add up or you may not have any damage at all. Technically you shouldn't but how far we talking to get to the ramp?

Yeah. I'll let you armchair attorneys have that fun. There are many laws, rules, and regs in play, and to make sweeping statements about what is legal/illegal/would void a warranty/would result in civil penalties presumes a lot.

The gist of the other thread is that there are manufacturer's specs on towing capacities based how the vehicle is equipped, trailer weight and configuration, etc. The most reasonable approach is to read your owner's manual and the supplemental towing information available on the Ford site and then stay within the manufacturer's specs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. I'll let you armchair attorneys have that fun. There are many laws, rules, and regs in play, and to make sweeping statements about what is legal/illegal/would void a warranty/would result in civil penalties presumes a lot.

The gist of the other thread is that there are manufacturer's specs on towing capacities based how the vehicle is equipped, trailer weight and configuration, etc. The most reasonable approach is to read your owner's manual and the supplemental towing information available on the Ford site and then stay within the manufacturer's specs.

So you sit here and criticize my reply on this thread by using another thread as your source? Can you unequivocally tell him that he won't be breaking a law by doing this? If not then my statement that there is a "small but still relevant legal and safety risk" is accurate. Futhermore, you telling him to read his manual and Ford website is going to tell him exactly what I just said. 2000 lbs is what his vehicle is rated at.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_explorer_oct1.pdf

Instead of you calling others armchair lawyers how about you have a seat first. :thumbsup:

Back