• Register Today It's free!

towing

jimu

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
I have a 2002 Mountaineer with AWD and V8 engine. This vehicle does not having the towing package. For that year, the towing package included; 1) 3.73 axle, class 3 hitch, and limited slip diferential. With the towing package, towing capability is rated at 7200 pounds. Without the towing package, it drops to 3000 pounds. Why such a big difference?

Without the towing package, the vehicle still has heavy duty cooling and transmission cooler. The towing package does not add this.

Ignoring the hitch (a class 3 hitch can be easily added), the only difference I can see is the axle ratio being a bit different and the limited slip diferential. I would think though that AWD would cancel that out.

Would going from a 3.55 to a 3.73 make that big of a difference? The only reason I can see for setting the limit at 3000 pounds is that without the towing package, the vehicle comes with a class 2 hitch -- which has a limit of 3000 pounds.

Is the 3000 pounds understated? Is the vehicle capable of a lot more (not the full 7200 of course -- but how about 5000)?

thanks

Tow rating is based on several components: Axle Capacity, Brake Capacity, Powertrain(Engine & Trans) Capacity. Axle Ratio definitely has an effect.

That said, I think that the 3000 is probably limited by the hitch.

yes, 3000# is hitch limited. Personally I wouldn't tow more than 3000# with the explorer anyhow as it will get tossed around in the wind by a trailer pretty good (especially campers). I've pulled a open car trailer with a car on it behind my 02' AWD 4.6L mounty which was around 5500# total and It pulled it decent but I wouldn't want to pull it a long ways. the Explorer is just too Short, Skinny, and light IMO to tow anything over 4000# long distance.

Back