• Register Today It's free!

TP Sensor and MAF

ShadowGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
ok, i have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT. at first i was having problems idling in park. the car would under idle and shut off if i did not keep my foot on the gas. i searched these forums and found out it was the throttle position sensor possibly. i switched the TP Sensor out, but it continued with the problem. Then i found another thread on the forums that cited it could be the Idle Air Contorl Valve. so i switched it out and it fixed that problem. so after that was under control, the car started jerking while switching gears. so, again, i read some forums and found out that it could be the TP Sensor, when i switched it out, it fixed the problem. NOW i have a whole NEW problem. the car will not go into passing gear. it also will not go over 3000 RPMs. it shifts very smoothly, but no matter how hard i hit the gas, it will not go over 3000 RPMs. i have had the transmission checked out and it is fine. i took it to get the codes and the code was P1121 (TP Sensor inconsistent with MAF). so i had someone change out the MAF and the TP sensor, but the problem still persists. he suggested that the computer system in the car needs to be switch out. anyone ever ran across a problem such as this? any advice?

(sorry for long post, was trying to be detailed as possible)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any advice? suggestion?

sounds like you have the wrong or bad TPS

valid point, but 3 times in a row? ive changed it out 3 times

Back